How do you make your car with aftermarket ECU's legal?

1996BlackBauer

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
Oct 20, 2014
McHenry
So I am at a point of research for my project truck where I have found a ECU I like, It's a Holley one, but I am unable to connect it to my DLC, so with that I am unable to pass emissions, because the people at the emissions station are unable to read my truck. I will be running a 1996 or newer vehicle, so I need to pass emissions to be legal. I also want to be able to drive my truck on the road legally. So what has everybody done so that they can pass emissions, with an aftermarket ECU, with a custom harness installed?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Pretty much everyone I know (myself included) has done one of the following:

1. Registered the car someplace that doesnt have emissions (I've done this)
2. Plus the stock ECU back in PURELY for emissions (Ill have to do this)
3. Got the car registered as a race car (@syp did this)

1996BlackBauer

Oct 20, 2014
McHenry
Well, It would appear that I need to get some extra connectors to transfer the ECU's over then, lol. Only really need the ECU so that I can run spray, and so I don't have to worry about a different transmission being installed.

What do you mean by register it somewhere that doesn't have emissions?

Register as a Race car is what I got from the asshat from the emissions center, which is way too much bull to mess around with.

Thanks for the input!

1996BlackBauer

Oct 20, 2014
McHenry
How much nitrous do you plan on running? With a small wet shot, you can get away with just going a step colder on plugs and running 93 octane or better.

I would try to make a timing retard box work if the only reason for getting a standalone ECU is so you can run nitrous.

I basically want the ability to tune it, run nitrous, and not have to worry about the stock ECU flipping out about not having any input from the Transmission. I'm going to be running a C4 trans, not the 4r70W that came in the truck.

Plus the ECU will allow me to change thing later if need be.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I basically want the ability to tune it, run nitrous, and not have to worry about the stock ECU flipping out about not having any input from the Transmission. I'm going to be running a C4 trans, not the 4r70W that came in the truck.

Plus the ECU will allow me to change thing later if need be.

Ahh okay, makes sense.

I have a Holley HP system on my 90 Mustang. I really like it. It wouldn't exactly be easy to swap my stock ECU back in place though if the car did need to pass emissions (thankfully it doesn't). The entire engine harness has been replaced and a couple of sensors have been swapped out for GM sensors. It would be a huge pain to swap wiring and ECUs every two years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info