SME V16 and 4 turbos.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
First Look: Steve Morris Develops All-New Quad-Turbo V-16 Engine

Let’s say you’re an automotive company with visions of providing the most powerful supercar ever conceived, and the time has come to develop an engine platform to deliver the motivation you seek. Such an engine doesn’t exist, so what do you, as the limited-production vehicle manufacturer, do? The manufacturer of the Devel Sixteen – with no internal engine development division – turned to none other than Steve Morris and the team at Steve Morris Engines (SME) in Muskegon, Michigan, to conceive an all-new engine architecture to produce the required power, while retaining a solid level of reliability and relative user-friendliness.

The result? A 754 cubic-inch (12.36-liter) quad-turbo, V16 configuration producing well over 4,500 horsepower in street trim. And if that’s not enough, Morris is now working to produce 5,000 horsepower in race mode.

“This engine has been developed, designed and machined from scratch,” says Morris. “The customer contracted with us to build a V16 with four turbos for this car and make the power they wanted.”

Its gigantic to say the least and an engine setup like this and this type of exclusiveness I have to wonder what it weighs.

Looks a whole lot like 2 twin turbo LS engines back to back to me.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
He mentions a few times that there were certain things he wasn't going to reinvent the wheel over. I'd imagine general design concepts and a good number of parts are LS based, but like they said 'built from the ground up'

So even if it's basically just two LS's the crank, heads, and firing order are huge engineering hurdles.

I am curious about this goofy super car company though...?

383 (stroked LS) x 2 is 766, awfully close to the 754 CI they are quoting for the motor being designed 'from scratch' obviously. I don't think he is trying to full on hide that's basically two LS motors, but he is downplaying it.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
The massive 1 piece main cap is crazy but :dunno: I guess I'm not really that impressed I mean this will look pretty wimpy when I slap 3 3800s together to make a V18 and use 6 turbos!! :s00ls:

I guess really I don't get the point its fucking giant and like I mentioned about weight I highly doubt its even close to being considered a "light" car as a whole.

Then about that whole mega buck open the wallet sign here or I have a sponsor cars never have impressed me.

Id rather see something someone built themselves in their own garage that rips off single digit time slips and makes 4 digit hp.

As an engineering feat like you mentioned sure its cool but other than that I don't see much point other than to say it could be done or this car has the highest hp.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Definitely a lot of LS inspired parts on that thing. Timing cover, center bolt valve covers, bolt pattern on the exhaust side of the heads, side profile of the heads is very similar if not exactly what an LS head looks like. Pretty damn cool. I'm sure that made it a lot easier to come up with a motor than starting with a blank sheet of paper. A clean slate project would take a pile of engineers years to r&d before a production ready engine was made

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
"The development process gave Morris the freedom to design exactly what he thought would be most viable; although there are influences from the products he works with often – the LS platform and the big-block Chevrolet come to mind – the overall design from intake manifold to oil pan architecture came from the Michigan horsepower factory."

kinds comes right out and says it... do you people even skim.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I mean, I don't see the issue in utilizing proven technology and design :dunno:

I mean, the Aston V12's were basically two Tore-ass motors back to back, the W16 in the Veyron is basically two VR8's bolted together, the Cadillac Sixteen concept was two Gen IV LS's back to back, The Bentley Continental W12 is basically 2 VR6's...long and storied tradition of welding two blocks together...at least this company used a billet block and crank

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
He mentions a few times that there were certain things he wasn't going to reinvent the wheel over. I'd imagine general design concepts and a good number of parts are LS based, but like they said 'built from the ground up'

So even if it's basically just two LS's the crank, heads, and firing order are huge engineering hurdles.

I am curious about this goofy super car company though...?

383 (stroked LS) x 2 is 766, awfully close to the 754 CI they are quoting for the motor being designed 'from scratch' obviously. I don't think he is trying to full on hide that's basically two LS motors, but he is downplaying it.

754/2 = 377 or basically 376 6.2l ls3

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info