e85 vs 110

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
IF a person can buy E85 locally why in the hell pay the money for 110?

all I know is its worth 60whp on 2.8 and E85 vs 3.2 and piss gas pump gas on my 3800 garbage can.

Im not making a c16 vs e85 thread so cost does play apart, thats not entirely wrong, but I'm looking for how comparable the two are for performance

From what I have heard e85 is 103-105. I push 23-24 psi on a twin screw with e85. It's the only economical choice for my wallet.
However I used to run the same psi on 100 octane unleaded.

Thank you, interesting to hear that with 100!

From what I have heard e85 is 103-105. I push 23-24 psi on a twin screw with e85. It's the only economical choice for my wallet.
However I used to run the same psi on 100 octane unleaded.

I've also found it tends to be 103-105 but that will change based on the quality of e85, which varies station to station and so forth. A lot of engine builders I've talked to say it kills engines quicker, but can't verify that info. If you can afford 110 I would choose that option, also would depend on whether you plan to street drive. If it's mostly track then I would choose 110, however with my plans I want to street drive it so I'll be going e85... Drain/run the fuel if you plan to store it, and you won't need to worry much about sucking in water, also heard a few guys run a tune on 110/pump to help clear the lines/engine for it doesn't get corrosion in storage. Mostly speculation based on others experiences, but seems to be fairly consistent amongst reputable places

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
e85 is 100-105 octane, but you get the cooling from the alcohol as well and it "acts" like around 110.

E85 takes a lot more fuel system vs 110, which can be a point of contention in a lot of cars.

If its something you just want to turn up the wick at the track or on a dyno, id be running 110. IMO its easier to drive around everywhere on 93, than worrying about finding a good e85 station wherever you're at. If you have a car capable of sensing alcohol content, id just drive around on e85 all the time then.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
e85 is 100-105 octane, but you get the cooling from the alcohol as well and it "acts" like around 110.
Some people claim upwards of 115 octane but this is pretty much spot on. It really depends on the source.

E85 takes a lot more fuel system vs 110, which can be a point of contention in a lot of cars.
Boom.

Stoich ratio
gasoline 14.7:1
E85 9.8:1

Power
Gasoline (Baseline)
E85 80%ish

So running a similar setup you're using 1.5 more fuel when you run E85 and should translate to roughly 20% more possible available power within the fuel.

If its something you just want to turn up the wick at the track or on a dyno, id be running 110. IMO its easier to drive around everywhere on 93, than worrying about finding a good e85 station wherever you're at. If you have a car capable of sensing alcohol content, id just drive around on e85 all the time then.
E85 varies quite a bit more than 110, so unless you have a solid station, you're going to lack the consistency of 110....

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Ask [MENTION=11585]twinv6gtp[/MENTION] the crazy canananananda guy with the twin engine monster.

IIRC he says C16 is even more knock prevention than E85. Like really hard to make shit detonate on C16. so if you can afford it sure crank up the boost and timing and go full retard. :rofl:

C16 is so much more forgiving and can run a lot more boost. Basically I could run whatever power I wanted (30 psi of boost and 15 deg timing) without any knock.

With the E85 it was mixed results. I would rate it around 105 octane. But E-85 quality varies so much it could be more or less.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info