Looking for advice - I want to make domestic parts. Not sure what

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
So I've always been into import cars since before I could drive. Never owned a fun domestic car. Past few years I have been making catch cans, coolant reservoirs, power steering reservoirs, spark plug covers, egr block off plates.

I'm looking into stepping out of my comfort zone and doing some domestic stuff. Some of my questions are though is there any money to be made in it? So I make catch cans and they start off around $80. Most people don't bother to know the difference between something good and cheap so people buy a $12 one off ebay. Wondering if domestic guys are the same and just buy non brand name stuff based on price regardless of how well it does or does not work?

The only domestic thing I currently make is a 3 piece egr block off plate for the LT1. What would a good platform be for things that I make or other things that people would like to see made. (no headers)

I'm also looking into getting a cnc router really soon so start to be able to engrave and do other things like that

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I would think (and this is with no real knowledge whatsoever) that something like the LS market, as an example, would be very hard to crack. There are SO many companies doing the same thing.

I would think, however, with something like a catch can, that word of mouth would be your best bet. Get a few out to some guys on FB, have them build it up, sell some more, go from there.

Might be worth getting into the newer Mustangs and Focus ST market. Those are super hot right now and arent completely over-saturated with players.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
^this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Next problem is finding someone that has a car so I can take measurements and test fit. You wouldn't believe how hard it is with some people.
I offer some people discounts or in some times FREE parts if they can let me borrow their car for a few hours. Take the keys with you, just leave the hood open and in the back of my driveway for an hour or two. Nobody wants to do it. I had one guy bring his scion. We talked and bullshitted for awhile and I gave him a free part and he was happily on his way after

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
When I was an owner of LDC Chicago, we made products that no one else had thought of yet (cooling mod, clutch spring). Made good profit until other companies caught up and even afterwards because our parts were better. If you are the only supplier and there is an obvious need, the parts will sell regardless of pricing. Aim for parts with an obvious need that aren't already sold everywhere and target the more expensive rides which are usually purchased by guys with disposable income.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info