Seeking OCD Bodyshop

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
So some fucking pole smoker didn't touch his brakes coming up to a yellow light in the right hand turn lane at Bloomingdale and Army Trail and then locked them up right as I glanced down to pickup my coffee. I locked them up but twas too late. Popped my headlight, crunched the bumper, hood, and fender.

KDX is booked until Jan so they are out. I know of several places I could take it, but I really want top notch work, no drips or bullshit overspray, etc. I also want the plate outline and SSE lettering filled in and the bumper is going to need to be trimmed to fit the intercooler and piping. I was thinking about Royal Coach in Bartlett, I have heard good things, but never tried them out.

Any recommendations? I am located in Roselle, but will to travel some distance for the right shop.
[MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION]

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Two shops that I'd recommend:

1. Countryside Customs in Warrenville. Just did a bumper on my G37 and repainted Vogz's 911 Turbo rear. (630) 393-6665
2. M&V Autobody. Ask for Vince. He's done a lot of work on my Mustang and I am really picky. (847) 678-2788

If you are picky, don't go to KDX. A buddy of mine had a poor experience with work on his car.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Yes, the bonnie. It is no longer minty. :tear: Was just looking at it again and actually the impact was taken above the bumper so it may be ok. I just hope the structure behind the headlight is fixable. It pushed the fender back enough I cant open the drivers door.

Is that the Cliffs Frank worked at briefly or was that in west chicago? Cant open facebook link at work.

I wouldnt give a single fuck if it was the yukon.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Yes, the bonnie. It is no longer minty. :tear: Was just looking at it again and actually the impact was taken above the bumper so it may be ok. I just hope the structure behind the headlight is fixable. It pushed the fender back enough I cant open the drivers door.

Is that the Cliffs Frank worked at briefly or was that in west chicago? Cant open facebook link at work.

I wouldnt give a single fuck if it was the yukon.

yeah thats the place, but they moved to batavia, and teamed up with me for all mechanical repair :pedobear:

6303591145 - zach

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
:werd:
Two shops that I'd recommend:

1. Countryside Customs in Warrenville. Just did a bumper on my G37 and repainted Vogz's 911 Turbo rear. (630) 393-6665
2. M&V Autobody. Ask for Vince. He's done a lot of work on my Mustang and I am really picky. (847) 678-2788

If you are picky, don't go to KDX. A buddy of mine had a poor experience with work on his car.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Traver, I met an old dude at a car shop that had his classic car painted by Royal Coach. I think you know how anal I am about paint, and I can verify that this was the best paint job I have ever seen in my life. The car was painted a dreamsicle orange, and I couldn't find a single flaw in it. It was amazing.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Traver, I met an old dude at a car shop that had his classic car painted by Royal Coach. I think you know how anal I am about paint, and I can verify that this was the best paint job I have ever seen in my life. The car was painted a dreamsicle orange, and I couldn't find a single flaw in it. It was amazing.

I am not a painter, nor have I ever painted a car, but I've always been told that the prep work is what makes a paint job. Also, a good paint job costs $$$$.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Countryside customs does FLAWLESS work.

They did ALL of our cadillacs and cadillac customers when I was at naperville.. and you know how picky luxury customers can get.

top top top notch... Kevin, Ask for Steve (owner) and say Ryan With the G8 and SS sent you. Trust me

630-393-6665

They just did a front bumper on my Infiniti. Paint is flawless and they return the car cleaner than it was! Been going there for almost 15 years.

They had a ton of Caddy's in the lot. I figured that they worked with your dealership.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have been dealing with Countryside Customs since the mid 90's. A buddy knew a few guys working there. He introduced me to them and the owner. They do great work. They do collision, paint and full on restoration work. They have done cars that have won various shows. So they are very capable of an amazing paint job. I think you will be very happy with their normal service. But if you expect something more than the normal repair you should expect that they will bill you extra hours to reach the level of end results you expect. Extra prep, extra wet sanding, extra buffing and so on.

If you call, or better yet go there, express your concerns and wishes for your car. I am sure they will go over everything with you and put your mind at rest.

I have seen a few paint jobs from Royal Coach in St. Charles. They seem to do a great job as well.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think we mean matching perfectly with the OEM paint job. If you look hard, you can find flaws in every paint job, even high end ones.

that's what i was getting at.

none of these collision repairs should be "flawless" because whatever was repaired would stand out like crazy versus the rest of the car.

you don't want a "flawless" paint repair done, unless the entire car is being painted.

especially on an almost 20 year old gm.

flawless does not equal matches factory.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I am not a painter, nor have I ever painted a car, but I've always been told that the prep work is what makes a paint job. Also, a good paint job costs $$$$.

Great prep work goes a long way. But a good painter will know how to minimize dust in the paint, how to lay the paint for the least amount of orange peel, no runs and so on. All that makes it much easier to wet sand and polish out. If not save from having to strip and repaint the panel again.

id love to have [MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION] examine all of this "flawless painting" going on by all these shops... :rofl:

Like Jason said, a flawless OEM kind of paint job is much different than a flawless show quality paint job.

They are out there. I worked for a shop, Best of Show, that only did show & custom car caliber stuff. But it cost big money. Painting an engine bay in a old 50's to 70's car could cost $5K. But no detail was missed. You are also not talking a quick remove the engine, mask it off and spray it. It was treated like the top side of the car. As were the undersides of these cars. It was a shame as the guy got sick and really cut back at the shop for a few years. Because the work he and the shop did was incredible.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
[MENTION=112]ktraver97ss[/MENTION] the problem you are going to run into, is you are trying to get an almost 20 year old GM family car fixed perfectly... most shops would look at it as just that... a car that if turned into insurance would have a pretty good chance of being totalled...

you need to find someone who cares about you caring about a 90's bonneville... and won't rape you in return.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info