vorshlag puts 2016 Camaros & Mustangs on the 4 corners scales. Including the GT350

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
so whats the deal with the GT then? I thought everyone was saying it was slower than the outgoing mustang because it gained weight, and now this site is saying it weighs the same at around 3600lbs. What happened? Didn't it gain HP over the last one too?

The options on the car is where the weight can be saved or gained. The 2015 Performance Pack Brembo brakes versus the GT standard brakes are 6 piston versus 4 piston, rotors are 15" versus 14". The 2015 GT standard brakes are similar to the brakes on the 2011-14 GT Brembo brakes. Spare tires versus tire pump, 18" wheels versus 19" & 20" wheels, cast iron IRS center section versus aluminum center section (auto), power seats versus manual seats, base radio versus 12 speaker Shaker 1000, so on and so forth.

So it seems you can get a base GT that weighs much less than a GT350 or the earlier 2011-14 GT. So depending on what you want to do you can order the car accordingly. Want a drag oriented GT? Order a base model with no options to keep the weight down. Want a road course monster? Well gotta order a GT350. Not really different than it has been for decades.

I don't know. I hardly looked at the articles. Figured I would post them and let people comment. haha

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I don't know if Im the only one that trolls the C7 forums since the Stingray uses the same LT1 as the SS. There are a few people doing bolt on stock cam builds on C7s that make right around 500whp. 500whp in a Camaro SS on stock cam would be fucking amazing!

Simple bolt-on's making 500whp, Im talking ported intake manifold, intake, long tubes, E85, and tune.

16SSgonnahurtdem5.brofeelings.......

:bowrofl:

Aside from sorting out the options on the 16 vs the 15 Z/28 the 2016 SS is wait for it............

185 pounds lighter than the Z28!! Holy hell!! I realize that the options on each model can skew the numbers but a SS 185 pounds lighter is pretty damn solid!!

399whp and 406 wtq! Bone Stock!! :fy:

No fancy flat plane crank no fancy 32v 4 cam mess, Just DI single cam V8 goodness!!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The motor is stout for sure. No one is gonna argue that.

But.....there have been stock cam coyote out there making 480-500 rwhp for a few years now. With intake manifold, headers, tune and E85. I still would give the chevy the advantage even if the peak HP numbers were the same between the two. The chevy is going to make a lot more torque and have a better powerband. Well that is until 6,000 rpm. Because that is where the chevy falls off and the Coyote will carry it's peak power all the way to at least 7800 and maybe to 8200. Which could make things interesting when coupled with aggressive gearing.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Ohh no doubt I'm not denying the Coyote is a good engine either. I look at it this way.

I'd rather own an engine that's easier to work on and STILL makes 500whp with out so much as cracking open anything under the intake manifold.

I cannot wait to see what happens when Vengeance and a few others start tossing cams in the 16 SS. IIRC they made 650ish whp on cam + bolt on C7's.

Also as you said that rpm advantage from Ford vs the weight advantage of the SS will be interesting forsure!! It's going to be all about who can get to the finish line 1st. Id expect the SS to get out front with more tq and lighter car but the real question will be can the Ford with more RPM reel it in?!

Don't forget the GM can sort of deal with a lower revving engine when backed up with a 8 speed auto.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I don't know if Im the only one that trolls the C7 forums since the Stingray uses the same LT1 as the SS. There are a few people doing bolt on stock cam builds on C7s that make right around 500whp. 500whp in a Camaro SS on stock cam would be fucking amazing!

Simple bolt-on's making 500whp, Im talking ported intake manifold, intake, long tubes, E85, and tune.

I was actually just lurking the vette forums doing more or less the same thing. I'm curious to see how fast LT1 A8 camaros will be in the 1/4 on a stock engines with just drivetrain mods. Drag radials, stall, shift kit and rear end gears.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
after digging around a bit someone please show me a 5.0 with stock heads stock cams making over 500whp. na.

seems like most 500 na coyotes have cams and ported heads to hit the 500whp na number.

annnnd here's what bothers me. spending money on 4 fucking cams is retardedly expensive......

not to mention the cobra jet intake cost alot too vs stock ported lt1 intake manifold.....

im sure they are out there but i havnt found any stock heads stock cams 5.0's making 500 na whp.

inbeforeimcalledahaterandgmnutswinger

:rofl:

honestly i havnt found any examples. do they exist?

please not some shit that requires any type of gas over e85. ie no c16. k thanks.

anyone know of any examples?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
:rofl: waiting for the inevitable shit storm? lol me too hope it doesnt happen just trying to ask a legit question.

because stock cams stock heads NO race gas 5.0 making 500 na whp...

error 404 not found.....

:noes:

hope someome finds that unicorn..... :s00ls:

just a hunch if a stock cam stock heads 5.0 is making 500 whp na ill bet its rocking more mods for example lighter drive shaft, lighter wheels, convertor, blah blah. ??

i really hope im wrong id like to see one i just don't see it happening with out a pile of other supporting mods.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
The motor is stout for sure. No one is gonna argue that.

But.....there have been stock cam coyote out there making 480-500 rwhp for a few years now. With intake manifold, headers, tune and E85. I still would give the chevy the advantage even if the peak HP numbers were the same between the two. The chevy is going to make a lot more torque and have a better powerband. Well that is until 6,000 rpm. Because that is where the chevy falls off and the Coyote will carry it's peak power all the way to at least 7800 and maybe to 8200. Which could make things interesting when coupled with aggressive gearing.

I claim 1st? This is your quote from post #7. If they have been around for years why cant I find any?

:picard:

not trying to start a pissing match so someone show me even a bolt on stock cam stock heads NO race gas coyote making the 480whp na then if they have been around for YEARS..... I have not found any.

Yes I said right around 500whp na in post #6 if you read the thread I linked that blue c7 vette made 480whp and 485wtq listed on page 3.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
For the mustang gt , I wouldn't worry about the added 50 pound weight with the Performance package .

And if you decide to go the dragstrip route with the car , and going to do mods , drag wheels and tires will drop that weight off anyway. From that point the 50 lbs isn't going to be felt on the dragstrip.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I claim 1st? This is your quote from post #7. If they have been around for years why cant I find any?

:picard:

not trying to start a pissing match so someone show me even a bolt on stock cam stock heads NO race gas coyote making the 480whp na then if they have been around for YEARS..... I have not found any.

Yes I said right around 500whp na in post #6 if you read the thread I linked that blue c7 vette made 480whp and 485wtq listed on page 3.

You just pointed out you said it in post 6 and I said it in post 7. So what are you confused about? :rofl: You said it first. So post up proof to your claims first.

Page three of that thread shows a guy saying a buddy made 480rwhp. But no proof. And 480 is not 500rwhp. You said "There are a few people doing bolt on stock cam builds on C7s that make right around 500whp." So where is the proof of these few guys making 500rwhp?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I will admit that a stock headed and cams on a coyote is not easy to make 500rwhp with. There are not a ton of them running around. Some may have lightened & REM polished dliveline parts, lightened wheels and what ever else. Most people don't do cams on a coyote due to the cost. But they do pick up some very nice gains. Same goes with ported heads. I have seen a few builds in the 520-540 rwhp range with cams and heads.

I made like 445-450 rwhp with stock heads, stock cams, CJ, stock headers, cat deletes, stock muffler, 93 octane, stock trans, stock rear end, heavy 19" forged wheels and so on. With a mail order tune, not a dyno tune. I don't doubt that I could easily picked up another 30-35 whp with E85 and headers. Maybe another 10-15 with a dyno tune. Typical results of what these cars pick up with that. Because I have seen examples of this before. I think 470-480 would be something pretty much anyone could do with a mail order tune. People who put more effort into it and were smart about it would be rewarded with slightly more.

I don't care a whole lt about dyno numbers. Other than making sure it isn't way down on power or if a change resulted in less power. I care more how the car performs on the street, and more importantly, on the track.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
For the mustang gt , I wouldn't worry about the added 50 pound weight with the Performance package .

And if you decide to go the dragstrip route with the car , and going to do mods , drag wheels and tires will drop that weight off anyway. From that point the 50 lbs isn't going to be felt on the dragstrip.

True. But if you are worried about weight you could start out 50 pounds lighter and still lose more weight with lighter wheels. You also have to remember how sprung and unsprung weight effect things. As well as rotational mass.

If you were really worried you would swap out to super light drag brakes anyways. Which most people would not be doing. So ya, just order the car the way you want it and enjoy it.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
I will admit that a stock headed and cams on a coyote is not easy to make 500rwhp with. There are not a ton of them running around. Some may have lightened & REM polished dliveline parts, lightened wheels and what ever else. Most people don't do cams on a coyote due to the cost. But they do pick up some very nice gains. Same goes with ported heads. I have seen a few builds in the 520-540 rwhp range with cams and heads.

I made like 445-450 rwhp with stock heads, stock cams, CJ, stock headers, cat deletes, stock muffler, 93 octane, stock trans, stock rear end, heavy 19" forged wheels and so on. With a mail order tune, not a dyno tune. I don't doubt that I could easily picked up another 30-35 whp with E85 and headers. Maybe another 10-15 with a dyno tune. Typical results of what these cars pick up with that. Because I have seen examples of this before. I think 470-480 would be something pretty much anyone could do with a mail order tune. People who put more effort into it and were smart about it would be rewarded with slightly more.

I don't care a whole lt about dyno numbers. Other than making sure it isn't way down on power or if a change resulted in less power. I care more how the car performs on the street, and more importantly, on the track.

Agree'd and that's what pushes me off about all the Ford mod engine 4 cams are expensive. Plus it's undoubtedly easier to toss a single cam in a LT1 vs having to do 4 on the Ford.

Speaking of can people swap the cams on the coyote with out taking the engine out? Id assume its possible to get a new set in with out completely taking apart the timing chain and cam sprockets and VVT phasers? Im pretty sure it was do able to swap cams on the 2v and 3v with out taking the engine entirely out. I'm not sure on the coyote. :dunno:

As for the dyno numbers agree also even the link I posted beings that is based on a C7 the numbers will be different in a Camaro anyways. Also I agree that the track times and trap speed matter more than some number on a graph.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info