What is you favorite brand of oil and filter??

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I am just curious to see what you all are using for oil and filter on your cars. Personally I use what every synthetic 0w20 that I can get on sale with a decent filter and run it until the car tells me to change the oil, about 6,000 miles or more.

My current fill is Mobil 1 0w20 EP with a Fram Ultra filter. I have 30 quarts of synthetic oil that I paid about $1 per quart lol. Next will either be Castrol Edge or Valvoline SynPower.

The Grand Prix has always been on some flavor or Mobil 1 and I happened to get Mobil 1 0w40 for $1 per quart so fuck it lol. That gets changed once a year.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
It depends on the car.

For my Boss 302, I use Castrol Edge, since it is the only 5w50 I can find on store shelves, along with a Motorcraft filter.

For my 90 LX, I use Brad Penn semi synthetic and a Motorcraft filter.

For my 88 GT, I use Valvoline semi synthetic and a Motorcraft filter.

My Chyrsler 200 gets whatever the dealer uses.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
It depends on the car.

For my Boss 302, I use Castrol Edge, since it is the only 5w50 I can find on store shelves, along with a Motorcraft filter.

For my 90 LX, I use Brad Penn semi synthetic and a Motorcraft filter.

For my 88 GT, I use Valvoline semi synthetic and a Motorcraft filter.

My Chyrsler 200 gets whatever the dealer uses.

Motorcraft is a damn good filter for the money. If I owned a Ford that's all I'd use.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
On that note. How often do you guys change your oil? Honestly in the wife's 13' Malibu I change it every 10-12k or so with mobile 1 and a gram extraguard, and it looks good every time. Should I feel bad for not changing it more often?

Depends on a lot of variables, If it is mostly highway driving and not all short trips then 10K should be fine for Mobil 1. Those orange Fram extra guard filters are not made to go nearly that long though. Throw a Fram Ultra on.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Puralator pure one filter and rotella t6 in the wrx and cucv. Wife's Honda gets same filter and 5w20 castrol syntec (sometimes penzoil fancy stuff). Rotella t6 in dirt bike. Haven't owned truck long enough to decide. Probably t6 :rofl:
Wrx gets changed like every 4K because it'll eat a quart by then.
Cucv I change like every 6 months since I don't drive it much. Lately I've just been adding a quart every few drives because the rear main is blown out.

Honda I go by the oil life monitor and change around 20%. That's like 5-6k miles

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Those orange Fram filters are the biggest piece of junk filters ever made, I literally saw a difference of like 10psi of oil pressure after swapping to a Wix filter.

Mobil 1 always for oil and for filter it depends on the brand of the vehicle...

Ford=Motorcraft
Chrysler=Mopar
Everything else=Wix

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
My go-to oils are Mobil 1 0W-40 or German Castrol. For filters I will go with whatever premium one is available. K&N oil filters are really good and I will try to go with those when possible. My wife's E63 took filter inserts that had to be ordered or come from a dealer, no where near the selection like we get on the canister filters for American cars.

Penzoil has some advanced oils out in the past couple years that I have wanted to try. Supposedly they are Ferrari approved so I would imagine they are top tier and comparable to the 0W-40 M1.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info