RangerVsTacomaVsDakotaVsColoradoVsFrontierVSCanyon

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
We might be making a small truck purchase in the not too distant future.

Wife wants one, I guess I can oblige. This vehicle would be used, extended cab, 4wd, tow package, power options. Off road package is a plus as my wife is a total mall crawler. She likes heated seats and auto climate but those aren't options in this class of truck (that I am aware of). I think leather/vinyl are easier to clean but don't see that happening. I need to be under 100k miles and $20k dollars and I'd prefer to be closer to 60k miles. She likes colors like red, no silver or grey, not black.

This is the list of contenders...

05-15 Toyota Tacoma
05-12 Ford Ranger
05-11 Dodge Dakota
05-12 Chevy Colorado
05-Present Nissan Frontier
05-12 GMC Canyon

Missing anything?

Obviously a small big truck (a what?) could be an option if the price is right... short bed, smaller cab. Of note, she complained that both the Suburbans we had were too long so a full size might be too long unless we go RCSB and that is probably a no go as we need to haul two large dogs.

Gimme your thoughts if you have experience with these. I know the Tacoma is the heavyweight in this category... But I know plenty of truck people who are happy with all the brands of truck.

I am not sure when this purchase is happening. I am merely starting my research so I can be an informed husband and see if this is the right fit for her.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
I cannot stand 05-12 Colorado, the seat is basically on the floor and it feels so uncomfortable for me. 5'8" My wife who is 5'4" loved it and my friend who owns one is 6'4" and loves it so maybe it's just me. However 100,000 miles on it and it's only neede brakes and tires. I5 and 4wd. the z71 feels a bit better being on big tires and taller suspension. I cannot say for the others. Back seat is tight on the crew cab but again it's a small pick up

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
What I know about these trucks:

05-15 Toyota Tacoma - I've driven/owned a 2008 SR5 with a stickshift, Ride was surprisingly smooth/composed with the TRD package, MUCH more so than my rangers. Ran a 15.4 in the 1/4 mile, which was surprising for a stock 2 tonne+ Truck. 16mpg average with the V6, which is horrid.

05-12 Ford Ranger - I've owned MANY of these, 2wd trucks ride MUCH smoother than 4wd trucks (Coil front suspension Vs. Torsion Bar on the 4x4's). the 4x4 rangers lack the refinement of the Tacoma by far, but are EXTREMELY stout, easy to work on, and cheap/available parts. used ones often need their front ends rebuilds (Control arms, bearings, etc), which can make for some really good/affordable finds

05-11 Dodge Dakota. Late 00's dodge build quality is poor at best, I've driven one, and passed on buying it, Low refinement, low quality.

05-12 Chevy Colorado. Known for front end and brake issues (Rotors contain bearings as one unit, making brake jobs significantly pricier than Rangers/Tacomas), only good motor choice is really the 'rare' 5.3 equipped trucks, and even that one has some issues.

05-Present Nissan Frontier - Never driven one, heard they have bad paint/rust issues, the 4 banger is supposed to be near bulletproof.

05-12 GMC Canyon - Same as the Colorado

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
What I know about these trucks:

05-15 Toyota Tacoma - I've driven/owned a 2008 SR5 with a stickshift, Ride was surprisingly smooth/composed with the TRD package, MUCH more so than my rangers. Ran a 15.4 in the 1/4 mile, which was surprising for a stock 2 tonne+ Truck. 16mpg average with the V6, which is horrid.

05-12 Ford Ranger - I've owned MANY of these, 2wd trucks ride MUCH smoother than 4wd trucks (Coil front suspension Vs. Torsion Bar on the 4x4's). the 4x4 rangers lack the refinement of the Tacoma by far, but are EXTREMELY stout, easy to work on, and cheap/available parts. used ones often need their front ends rebuilds (Control arms, bearings, etc), which can make for some really good/affordable finds

05-11 Dodge Dakota. Late 00's dodge build quality is poor at best, I've driven one, and passed on buying it, Low refinement, low quality.

05-12 Chevy Colorado. Known for front end and brake issues (Rotors contain bearings as one unit, making brake jobs significantly pricier than Rangers/Tacomas), only good motor choice is really the 'rare' 5.3 equipped trucks, and even that one has some issues.

05-Present Nissan Frontier - Never driven one, heard they have bad paint/rust issues, the 4 banger is supposed to be near bulletproof.

05-12 GMC Canyon - Same as the Colorado

So Ranger? I'd be okay with that actually.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info