Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Wish the guy had a vid of it ripping down the road.

The Lotus Exige already starts off as a great handling, lightweight sportscar. What it needed was a replacement for the Toyota power plant that was rather uninspired. A simple engine swap would have easily taken care of that, however, when you like BMW V10s, the project gets a bit more complicated.

The owner of this particular Exige really wanted the 500hp V10, from the BMW M5, in the Lotus, so the Exige was adjusted around it to make it work. The final product looks top notch and sounds great (see video below). I bet adding a few hundred extra horsepower to a 2000 lb. car makes the driving a bit more exciting as well.

Lotus Exige with BMW M5 V10 engine swap - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prX08ZSvQi4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToYt0g-L3h8

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Just for simplicity and aftermarket is all, although yes I do appreciate the uniqueness of it also.

I realize not everything needs an LS that's why I said not taking anything away from the BMW V10 either.

Also Im sure the builder if this could have built the Venom GT replica for a fuckton less than the 1.2 whatever Hennessey charges for one.

Price comparison vs this build doesn't mean much.

Besides the BMW V10 or LS what would you or anyone else choose?

Interested in what else people would choose?

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Just for simplicity and aftermarket is all, although yes I do appreciate the uniqueness of it also.

I realize not everything needs an LS that's why I said not taking anything away from the BMW V10 either.

Also Im sure the builder if this could have built the Venom GT replica for a fuckton less than the 1.2 whatever Hennessey charges for one.

Price comparison vs this build doesn't mean much.

Besides the BMW V10 or LS what would you or anyone else choose?

Interested in what else people would choose?

a mod motor

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
in all seriousness here's the motor I'd use
6873267010_f1054fdd34_b.jpg

[MENTION=10734]Xfirez51[/MENTION]

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I have the most normal boner right now.

fuck an LS in the exige. Uninteresting, unimpressive, uninspiring, not unique at all. They're in everything. yes, an LS is a great engine. doesn't belong in that car. To me, an LS is like going to that shitty local car show and seeing all the junk hotrods built in the 90s with an LT1 or a jegs off the shelf 350 sbc crate motor.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I have the most normal boner right now.

fuck an LS in the exige. Uninteresting, unimpressive, uninspiring, not unique at all. They're in everything. yes, an LS is a great engine. doesn't belong in that car. To me, an LS is like going to that shitty local car show and seeing all the junk hotrods built in the 90s with an LT1 or a jegs off the shelf 350 sbc crate motor.

Fucking werd. An LS is fine to swap into a Miata or an XJ, or something cheap...but the V10 is at least unique and interesting. Who gives a shit if it's hard...that's not the point. If the dude wanted to do something that was cheap and/or easy, he could've just swapped another Lotus derived motor into it.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Fucking werd. An LS is fine to swap into a Miata or an XJ, or something cheap...but the V10 is at least unique and interesting. Who gives a shit if it's hard...that's not the point. If the dude wanted to do something that was cheap and/or easy, he could've just swapped another Lotus derived motor into it.

Opposite here. I think since the LS makes the most potent swap candidate that its the best. You can extract the most amount of power for the least amount of money, and with a good exhaust it sounds tits.

However, end of 2nd video the radio is playing U2s "Beautiful Day". Sounds about right if you dumped a V10 into an Exige.

Still prefer Frank Profera's twin-charged Lotus Exige.

Too bad Frank wrecked it.

Lotus-exige-680.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/03/car_feature_gt_gt_canyon_carving_king/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info