SVT Focii: What to look out for

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Dad's co-worker just blew the head gasket on her SVT Focus. Not sure what year it is, but i know it's one of the later years because it has 4 doors and the 6 speed, which weren't offered early. Old lady bought it thinking it was an economy car, so it is driven easily and not modded, plus a Florida car so no rust...

What other common issues do the SVTs have? Worth it to throw her a $1k offer and fix it up and have a nice winter beater?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
If the only issue is a blown head gasket and the car is in good shape, I think it would be a steal for $1,000.

This is NOT a regular Focus and shouldn't be compared to one.
It would be like comparing a base v6 Mustang to a Cobra.

the cobra/v6 stang comparison is hardly fair. you can pick up a not blown up SVT focus for well under 4k. they aren't worth a lot, and paying $1,000 for a broken pile of scrap metal that's half way across the country sight unseen would be foolish. the head might be warped/cracked, it could need an engine.....how are the tires/brakes/clutch?

buy low so when you find more wrong you aren't losing your ass. you'd also have a shot at making money when you go to sell it :hsughlol:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
the cobra/v6 stang comparison is hardly fair. you can pick up a not blown up SVT focus for well under 4k. they aren't worth a lot, and paying $1,000 for a broken pile of scrap metal that's half way across the country sight unseen would be foolish. the head might be warped/cracked, it could need an engine.....how are the tires/brakes/clutch?

buy low so when you find more wrong you aren't losing your ass. you'd also have a shot at making money when you go to sell it :hsughlol:

Well it's my father's co-worker so I'm assuming we could get pretty good records for the service history...he said she just put a bunch of money into it, what and how much no idea, hopefully find out tomorrow

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Other than stock motor mounts being shitty and failing a lot and the plastic cooling bits being junk, everything should be pretty solid.

I'm guessing the thermostat housing and/or crossover pipe was leaking. It's a terrible design but the parts are cheap. I used to do our focus every few years, usually because there would be a giant puddle of coolant under it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info