First IRS Equipped 2015+ Mustang in the 8s!

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This been posted yet?

2015-ford-mustang-s550-irs-record.jpg

First IRS Equipped S550 Mustang in the 8s!

The NMRA All Ford World Finals in Bowling Green, Kentucky is still going on, but one new record has already been set - Watson Racing brought out their S550 Mustang to the NMRA Finals and ran their former SEMA Show car head to head against the field. This time around, their Mustang ran well into the 8-second territory. It's the second S550 Mustang to run in the 8s and the first IRS equipped Mustang to accomplish the feat.

Powered by a beefy Holbrook Coyote 5.0L V8 with a 2.9L supercharger, Chuck Watson Sr. Clicked off a best of 8.90 at 153 mph. The Watson Racing 2015 Mustang was also part of the highly anticipated Grudge Races as it lined up against Kelly Aiken and ran an 8.94 to Kelly's 9.73.

Here's the mod list from SEMA. Not sure if the 8-second pass had any changes:

The Mod List
Powertrain

• Ford Racing Supercharger
• Ford Racing cam set
• Ford Racing Throttle body
• Ford Racing Mass air meter
• Tremec Magnum XL six-speed transmission
• American Racing Headers long tube headers
• American Racing Headers X-pipe
• Pypes electronic exhaust cut-outs
• Magnaflow mufflers
• Dynotech one-piece, lightweight driveshaft
• Centerforce clutch assembly
• Watson Racing 10-gallon fuel cell
• Optima Yellow Top battery
• C&R heat exchanger
• Watson Racing intercooler reservoir
• Watson Racing overflow tank
Chassis & Suspension

• Watson Racing lightweight K-member
• Watson Racing driveshaft loop
• Watson Racing lightweight, tubular bumpers, front and rear
• Strange race suspension
• Strange lightweight brakes
• Watson Racing stainless brake-line kit
• Hurst line lock
• Wilwood proportioning valve
• Ford Racing heavy-duty IRS bushings
• Ford Racing heavy-duty halfshafts
• Watson Racing trunk-mount battery kit
• Moroso/Watson Racing push/pull master kill switch
Wheels & Tires

• Weld Racing RT-S, 17×4.7-inch front and 17×9.5-inch rear
• M&H Racemaster drag radials, 28/4.5-17 front and 325/45-17 rear
Exterior

• Custom paint and body by Ice Nine Customs
• MVS/Watson Racing carbon fiber 3-inch cowl hood
• Watson Racing hood strut kit
• Watson Racing fuel door charging port
• Ford Racing decklid trim panel
• Aerocatch flush mount hood pins
• Custom LED lighting by The Lighting Firm
Interior

• Sparco Evo 3 fixed back race seats
• SPC Interiors custom upholstery
• Teamtech race seat harnesses
• Aim Motorsports GT 350 steering wheel
• Sparco steering wheel quick disconnect
• Watson Racing race seat mounts
• Watson Racing six-point, chrome-moly, weld-in roll cage
• Watson Racing aluminum rear bulkhead closeout panel
• Ford Racing gauges
• Rick Jones carbon fiber roll bar covers

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Aftermarket cams

I think they may have built a 2011-14 motor for this car. Not like cores for a 2015 were easy, or cheap, to come by earlier this year. That meant using those cams basically make it similar to the 2015 cam specs but for the older 2011-14 heads.

Looks like it's a Holbrook crate motor too, no?

Yes, it has a built short block. A stock 2015 coyote motor seems to hold 700-750 rwhp ok. To run 8's it is using more than 700 to the tire. Especially to be reliable over a long time of track abuse. So it needs a built short block. But most likely not ported head. Coyote heads flow a ton stock. Enough for 8's for sure.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It is just good to see that people are making these car quick on the drag strip with the IRS. First off that the IRS equptment is standing up to the punishment. Mainly the gear set and differential housing. The poor 03/04 Cobra guys would shatter the case and send the gear set out of them. The other thing is the mustang since 1979 has has always worked well in drag racing because of the triangulated four link or a three link set up. But they are showing shock settings and spring rates can make a IRS set up hook.

I am interested to see how fast some of these guys will push the IRS.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I didn't see any of the components guys are using to reduce wheel hop. All I saw was some bushings and built half shafts.

I didn't think the bushings were enough to do the trick.

FRPP sells aluminum busgings to replace the rubber ones on the IRS cradle and the differential mounting. So it is solidly mounted. Then springs and shocks control the wheel movement.

Good article on the FRPP subframe with bushings already in place being installed.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...015-ford-mustang-s550drag-racing-irs-upgrade/

Other companies also make verticle links and toe links that are stronger than stock. They would help with deflection of the stock parts as well.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
For as much as I've heard about the links, I was surprised to not see them on the list.

I want to do something for the wheel hop next year. I was hoping to see what guys liked on TCG.

I was going to just order the BMR cradle brace and the Steeda poly supporting diff bushings. But in typical fashion before I was done I ordered every part for it. :rofl: I didn't want to have a lot of noise, vibration or harshness so I figured I would keep the factory rubber bushings for now. I hope it all works well and I can get the car to hook and not have any wheel hop. If I do a set of Viking double adjustable shocks will go on next.

Holy crap that is a ton of work to replace those bushings.

Yes it is. They used the FRPP cradle and all. So they didn't have to press out all the factory rubber bushings and install/press all the aluminum ones in the factory cradle. So add time and work if you just all the bushings. Same goes for the poly bushings. Because most people are not going to run the aluminium bushings on a street car.

I think the BMR cradle brace is a good alternative for street cars with out dropping the cradle to replace the bushings.

10-BMR-S550-Cradle-Brace-Install.jpg

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
It is just good to see that people are making these car quick on the drag strip with the IRS. First off that the IRS equptment is standing up to the punishment. Mainly the gear set and differential housing. The poor 03/04 Cobra guys would shatter the case and send the gear set out of them. The other thing is the mustang since 1979 has has always worked well in drag racing because of the triangulated four link or a three link set up. But they are showing shock settings and spring rates can make a IRS set up hook.

I am interested to see how fast some of these guys will push the IRS.

You spoke to soon. Kelly Aiken busted the mounting points off his diff housing.

I had a long weekend of breaking parts at the track this weekend at NMRA Bowling Green World Finals.

First pass off the trailer - heard a very loud snap right on the launch. I snapped the ears right off the diff housing, on the front side.

20151001_142409.jpg

20151001_142402.jpg

20151001_142353.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info