How To: Maximize Stock Brake System

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The 13" 2 pistons are actually very capable. Buy a good pad, SS lines and do a fluid flush. That's all you need:

Pads: Stoptech Street Performance are good pads. I run them on my Mustang and Infiniti. I'd like to try the new Hawk 5.0 pads.

Lines: I have Russell Stainless Steel

Fluid: Motul or ATE

Depending on the shape of your rotors, you might just be able to have them resurfaced. Oh and don't forget about tires.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
drilled/slotted, I think they're a waste of money for anything short of track use. a quality rotor that isn't some eBay knockoff junk is a good buck and at that point you're significantly biting into the cost of the upgrade anyways. pads, fluid and lines is enough IMO if you aren't wanting to spend big bucks

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
I had brembo blanks with hawk pads. And also hawk pads on unknown drilled/slotted rotors. The blanks had my stopping much more quickly and I think I liked them more for perfomance wise. The slotted drilled ones were great for looks. But there was one time I was boosting down the street, came to a stop sign and went right through it slamming the brakes.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Yea, showing off to a friend how boost felt. Came up to a stop sign and applied the brakes but I wasnt slowing down. Pushed in as hard as I could and still went right through the sign going at least 20. Given it was a single piston caliper. But the nice pads, and ss lines. Dont think ill be going back to drilled and slotted. Maybe only slotted. Also some of the drill holes were chipping on the rotors that I had.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Don't do drilled and slotted. I've had spider cracks around holes before. Switched to centric blanks and never had an issue.

I had a friend with an ITR that would buy lifetime pads and rotors at autozone and do a ton of track days. He's replaced them at the track, burned thru them and replaced them same day :rofl:

I've used ATE fluid because that's what North Star motor sports had in stock (plus side is it comes in blue and amber so makes flushing easier).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info