Anyone have/had an Audi A5/S5?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Looking at a newer model, potential DD replacement for the wife. CPO so 2011+. Anyone have or had one? Pro/Con? Basically its her dream daily car (she used to have a TT), and they look like sex on wheels even stock, let alone adding just tints and some rims.
[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] for insigh
[MENTION=510]Vogz[/MENTION] as I think you still have an s4 as a daily?
[MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION] where can I buy a stylish Audi jacket for her, me and james?

Used ones are around what an a3 would be anyways or even cheaper depending on year. Being a coupe doesn't matter as we will either keep her jeep or my tdi sedan.

I'm going to assume the normal reliability issues being a German car, but honestly I really don't know and it can be very hit or miss as well. Not sure how the newer models are doing. A loaded s5 with all the bells and whistles is scarier than a 2.0+ a5 without navi and other electronics we wouldn't care for. Just looking for personal experiences.

Thanks
HK

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
My brother had an S5, first year. 2009 I think it was. It was a pretty bad-ass car inside. His has the 4.2 DI V8. Yours would likely have the 3.0T. It was a good car for the short time he had it.

Just make sure you stick to CPO like you mentioned. On VAGs you need to deal with small stuff you'd never think would break, breaking. And nothing is cheap. With the BMW a lot of the common failure parts are actually quite reasonably priced. With the A8 I noticed that even stuff that would fail on every A8 and that had TSBs out for it would still be unreasonably expensive.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Supercharged six-cylinder is the winning engine in S5. V-8 is unimpressive, inefficient, and the turbo four-cylinder in the A5 is a bit noisy and unrefined. An A5 with S-Line package isn't a bad setup and is potent enough for the casual sporty driver; the 8-speed auto helps a bunch. Not sure if you're looking at a manual trans, but the six-speed with the supercharged engine is like butter; very easy to shift quickly.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Supercharged six-cylinder is the winning engine in S5. V-8 is unimpressive, inefficient, and the turbo four-cylinder in the A5 is a bit noisy and unrefined. An A5 with S-Line package isn't a bad setup and is potent enough for the casual sporty driver; the 8-speed auto helps a bunch. Not sure if you're looking at a manual trans, but the six-speed with the supercharged engine is like butter; very easy to shift quickly.

Yea the a5 and s-line with the 8 speed is what I think will be the right fit. We are moving into the city at the end of the month and she just doesn't want to deal with the manual in the city, even though it would make it a perfect match for the car.

What kinda reliability are you seeing or hear on these things?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yea the a5 and s-line with the 8 speed is what I think will be the right fit. We are moving into the city at the end of the month and she just doesn't want to deal with the manual in the city, even though it would make it a perfect match for the car.

What neighborhood you moving to?

Reliability is better than you'd expect, or at least that's what I can tell through the usual reliability channels. Above average. Don't have any firsthand experience there, clearly.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

So Vogz's brother had the same car (A5 S-Line) with a tune, which was a really nice car. I think he will chime in to buy an S model as they hold their value much better, plus the obvious that the S4/S5 is a better car.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
What neighborhood you moving to?

Reliability is better than you'd expect, or at least that's what I can tell through the usual reliability channels. Above average. Don't have any firsthand experience there, clearly.

Moving into technically Ukrainian Village I think it sits, but its near Western/Chicago Ave intersection, a tad west.

I have not had any reliability issues at all over the last 4 years. My bother had zero issues with the A5 and just got into an SQ5

Still love my S4. My brother had an S-Line A5 and he regretted not buying the S5 every day.

What year is your s4 and what year was his a5?

Thanks for the help guys!

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I've driven in a few A5's and S5's and really like them. The S5 has the power of my TA with an interior and level of refinement thats unmatched. The Audi sport seats with suade are awesome too. Its a true European "muscle car". As far as looks go, I personally like the lines of the BMW 3 and 4 series coupes a little bit better. I say test drive a few with the various engines and transmissions and let us know what you think.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info