Best way to hide rust on a white car?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Looking to pick up a white car this week and it has some very small rust spots on the back and over the wheel. It sticks out like crazy. On my black truck the rust is hardly noticeable.

What's the best way to remove clean it up so its not visible from a few feet away? (aside from touch up paint of course, I'd like to clean it first without damaging the surrounding paint)

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Try POR-15:
POR-15 - Paint Over Rust

It comes in multiple colors, including clear. I' had a bad fenderwell rust spot that I tried everything on and nothing worked. Then I tried this stuff and it stopped the rust completely. The trick is to treat both sides of the metal and not just the surface where you see the rust.

After applying this stuff, you can paint over it.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Save a headache, sell the car.

lol, i haven't bought it yet.
Try POR-15:
POR-15 - Paint Over Rust

It comes in multiple colors, including clear. I' had a bad fenderwell rust spot that I tried everything on and nothing worked. Then I tried this stuff and it stopped the rust completely. The trick is to treat both sides of the metal and not just the surface where you see the rust.

Is there any prep work? Or just basically brush it on and paint over it?

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Had to repair the floorboards in my Fiero from rust onset by a water leak.

Before:
B14F1A9F-BB63-4E70-95E4-1219163FE2AF.jpg

After:
879C0258-C4CE-4A15-816C-5AA32E350F26.jpg

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Is there any prep work? Or just basically brush it on and paint over it?

There is a bit of prep work, but nothing too laborious.
Get the POR-15 Super Starter Kit which includes the cleaner, prep chemical and a small can of POR-15 (which actually goes a long way).

Also when you apply this stuff, make sure you have every area covered where you DON'T want to apply it. This includes parts of your car, and your driveway / garage floor. Wear clothes that you don't care about ruining and try not to get it on your skin.

Once this stuff gets on something and dries, it never comes off. Ever.
Ask me how I know. :rollpicard:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
About to pick this car up this weekend but now the seller is asking for a cashiers check INSTEAD of cash. Is that weird? Said they need it to buy a house...

As a Realtor, I run into this occasionally. They may need a paper trail for the money. When buying a house, you can't just pull out $100K from under a mattress and buy the house. The money has to have been visible in a bank or other locations for a certain length of time. Government wants proof you aren't laundering.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
If you do not treat both sides the rust will be back in months and you will be wasting your time.

This is very true!

My parents had a white caravan and after 2 years and 5 're-fixes' he gave up and sold it and bought a different color new caravan that is now starting to rust as well.. lol.

I'd say to stay away from a white rusty car.. you'll have a hard time being happy with the eyesore that keeps coming back unless you get it all properly done!

Tim

I like girls that drink beer
Nov 9, 2006
America
Try POR-15:
POR-15 - Paint Over Rust

I have a white car. I have used POR-15. Did all the prep, even used the pre-treat stuff they sell in the kit. Sealed, repainted, less than a year later the rust was coming right back through the same spot. I must have done something wrong. I was very disappointed from all the good things I have heard about the stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info