Reasons I don't want a Grand Cherokee... and go!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm loosely considering a 2014+ Overland or Summit with the diesel engine. It would be after the lease on the BMW is up. I know they've had a lot of issues with the exhaust filters on them which has caused their resale value to tank. That and Jeeps apparently have just abysmal quality ratings. What are we talking though? Bad build quality, drive train issues? All of the above?

Turns out you can't live in a car and we want to buy a house. Since my wife drives pretty much never I've been considering going down to one car but the FX35 gets pretty meh gas mileage for a full time vehicle and the 535 is not comfortable with car seats. I want something diesel, hybrid (but not a slow hybrid) or electric.

I'm thinking a diesel BMW X5, Hybrid Cayenne or the new XC90 that has the dual engine setup (electric motor in the rear, gas engine up front). The 7 series limo diesel is also on my list as would an A8L TDI. I really like the new Grand Cherokees and the diesel would theoretically tick my boxes.

Thoughts? This is off in the future but you all know me, still the same OG, always car shopping low key.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
It's a dodge. Enough said.

You're looking at vehicles that have to be 1 1/2 times the price of a Cherokee. There's a reason for that. Not just the name. You know the euro stuff I'd think. Chrysler/dodge/jeep is last for anything I personally would look into.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Build quality is exceptional. They introduced the Summit trim because buyers wanted an even higher quality interior. And it works. Super nice, near luxury quality. Air suspension rides beautifully and the diesel gets great mileage for what it is.

But reliability is awful. Like bottom of the barrel with Fiat, Dodge and Land Rover.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Build quality is exceptional. They introduced the Summit trim because buyers wanted an even higher quality interior. And it works. Super nice, near luxury quality. Air suspension rides beautifully and the diesel gets great mileage for what it is.

But reliability is awful. Like bottom of the barrel with Fiat, Dodge and Land Rover.

Pretty much sums up why I didn't buy a GC Overland. I looked at them and couldn't get past the reliability issues.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I love mine, the plan is to dd this thing until the wheels fall off.
d5359cf0375c1bb40007850eb86fe335.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

That sucks. Have you guys driven the XC90 yet? They're getting solid reviews.

I wouldn't go near anything Mopar related for a dd. if you're looking to really save, quit looking at diesels and hybrids. Those cost a premium to get into and you don't keep cars long enough for that to pay off. Get a good little civic or crv (only if an SUV is necessary), stack cash and buy a house.

I can't be talked out of a diesel/ hybrid now. Having a car that drives as nice as the BMW and gets gas mileage that great is intoxicating. I gas up so rarely sometimes I can't remember the last time I was at a gas station. I'd skip a cheap economy car because it's a cheap economy car and because they aren't nice to drive in most cases. The large Prius is cheap, roomy and get's amazing gas mileage but I don't want to hate my time behind the wheel.

The 535 I have now really is the perfect car if it was a bit roomier. That's why the 740LD would make the cut. The long wheelbase would solve the car seat problem.

I'm also not looking to cash in all my chips on cars. I'm perfectly content with going to one nice car versus going off the deep end and selling both cars for something really cheap. If it's going to be our sole car I want it to be nice. The problem is in LA insurance is almost a car payment. Ditching the FX35 would save us $150 a month in insurance alone. For a car that sits in the garage untouched for weeks at a time that's stupid money to spend.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
That sucks. Have you guys driven the XC90 yet? They're getting solid reviews.

I can't be talked out of a diesel/ hybrid now. Having a car that drives as nice as the BMW and gets gas mileage that great is intoxicating. I gas up so rarely sometimes I can't remember the last time I was at a gas station. I'd skip a cheap economy car because it's a cheap economy car and because they aren't nice to drive in most cases. The large Prius is cheap, roomy and get's amazing gas mileage but I don't want to hate my time behind the wheel.

The 535 I have now really is the perfect car if it was a bit roomier. That's why the 740LD would make the cut. The long wheelbase would solve the car seat problem.

I'm also not looking to cash in all my chips on cars. I'm perfectly content with going to one nice car versus going off the deep end and selling both cars for something really cheap. If it's going to be our sole car I want it to be nice. The problem is in LA insurance is almost a car payment. Ditching the FX35 would save us $150 a month in insurance alone. For a car that sits in the garage untouched for weeks at a time that's stupid money to spend.

Since the Cubs have a 94% chance of making the playoffs I expect to see your sweet ass in Chi-Town and you can drive my luxo barge hybrid finally.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
I am starting to hate the Grand Cherokee I have been driving around it just feels cheap for what it cost I'm much happier with the VW Tiguan the wife drives even though it smaller still love the quality is greater.. So my opinion is go try the VW Toureg TDI I'm sure u won't be disappointed.... Plus I saw on the news yesterday that the Chrysler products are not staying in park and been having electronic issues.. Anything German made FTW

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info