Owning a Viper vs Owning a Vette

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
So in a couple years I plan on buying a house and that means I'll be able to have multiple cars and a garage. I planned on selling my TA for some kind of vette, most likely a C5 Z06 and then some DD winter car.

Lately tho I've been fantasizing about owning my childhood dream car, a 90's Viper. Their still kinda pricey with the cheapest ones around 25k meaning you could buy a much newer vette for the same price. A vette would be able to do 90% of what a Viper can and could prolly even outperform one after spending a few thousand in aftermarket LS parts.

Viper just seems much more of a BEAST with that huge V10 under the hood motor making 450+ HP/tq of NA power. That alone makes it worthwhile over a vette. No traction control no care.

The GTS's are by far more badass looking but I was thinking about starting out with an RT10. Anyone know if they all had those pathetic plastic zip up covers or did the later ones have actual windows?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Don't get me wrong I love the Vipers and would love one too but depending on the budget you can swing I say........

C6Z06 if you can swing one of them.

1. Aftermarket is gigantic
2. Simple to work on it just a GM V8 what could possibly go wrong.
3. Cost of maintenance and ownership.

Me personally Ive been drooling over the thoughts of buying a C5Z because they are bargain priced right now and its a hell of a lot of car IMO for the money!

If you can swing a Viper more power to you, me personally it would have to be a gen2 viper or newer for me pushing the price tag up quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents here.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
1997DodgeViper01.jpg

>

8459889535_c4fb6d5b76_c.jpg

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I agree that a Viper GTS does look cooler than a C5 Z. But that in itself isnt a reason to buy the car.

As for the rarity of Vipers that has its pros and cons. I feel like its an exotic car that deff gets its attention. Vettes really arent that special when you consider that just about everyone knows someone that has a vette, and alot of them are owned by retired folks. But on the other hand there's obviously alot more parts for the vettes, and not to mention LS motors are in a variety of vehicles which is why the aftermarket is so strong.

Personally I think Vettes have more engineering in them year for year. I really really like the torque tube and rear mounted trans design. I've had an obsession with vettes for a long time so I know more about them though.

serb82

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Not sure how old you are but insurance is super crazy on a viper, buddy had 01 gts, never really got on it but was a cool car, little tight if your a bigger guy, I think the 01 was a non forged motor where the others all are. Inside a little outdated but outside never gets old looking. C5 vettes are very common and even high school kids are driving them.

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
I own a vette but i don't typically hang out with corvette people. The viper will be much more exclusive, I think the aftermarket is smaller if you plan to mod. The corvette aftermarket is huge simply because of the volume of cars made and sold.

That said, vettes are everywhere, not so much vipers. If I had to do it over again, I would buy a C6 ZR1 simply because of the price point to get into that level of power.

The new Viper is gorgeous. [MENTION=11102]Venomous SRT[/MENTION]

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
This isn't even a choice for me, I'd go for a Viper all day long. The performance is close and you get the exclusivity and looks of an American exotic if you go with a Viper. If you really plan on modding a car that much, stick to an F-Body.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
I've driven several of both and they really are 2 different animals. The vette's feel more planted and controllable, and with H/C/I are plenty fast.

Vipers though have so much more of an exotic look to them and a completely raw bare bones driving feel. You make a mistake in the viper and it usually doesn't end up well, they're very twitchy. But that V10 scream at high RPMs is fantastic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info