YET ANOTHER "Car Buying Time" thread - $3k budget

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Criteria are new/low mileage as possible, 25mpg+, Coupe/Sedan/Hatch, Car Illiterate family (so minimal maintenance/issues)

For my Cousin to replace his EXTREMELY beat 95 Camry (Side-swiped by a truck, messed up front bumper/grille/hood from previous run in), was passed down twice through the family to now him (Non of the damage is his fault).

So far this is the list of makes/models I'm looking at for them:
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Toyota Camry
Toyota Corolla
Pontiac Vibe
Lexus ES300
Acura RSX
Acura TL
Acura Integra
Volvo V40
Focus (05+ Generation)
Mazda 3

Anything else I should slap on the list while I'm poking through Craigslist?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Vibe? That's like one of those "What does not fit in this group" puzzles.

No way will you find any kind of '05 or newer Focus for under $3K unless it's junk. You may find late '90s early 2000s Integras, Civics and Corollas for that price.

GLWS. I will watch it to see if I can get any tips on less pricey rides.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Vibe? That's like one of those "What does not fit in this group" puzzles.

No way will you find any kind of '05 or newer Focus for under $3K unless it's junk. You may find late '90s early 2000s Integras, Civics and Corollas for that price.

GLWS. I will watch it to see if I can get any tips on less pricey rides.

The Vibe is the exact same Underpinnings/Engine/Trans as the Toyota Corolla and Toyota Matrix. Toyota Matrix has the Import Stigma which causes high resale. The Vibes being a Pontiac typically have a lower price of entry, but its an import under the sheet metal.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5161702496.html - '99 Corolla low miles $2995.

This guy is a dealer masquerading as an owner and he's from Miami so I would not touch this car personally but it does show you what may be available. You should be able to find the less pricey imports on your list from the late '90s or a little newer if you get lucky.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Step 1 of owning a saturn.. put oil in it.
Step 2 keep on doing step 1 until it dies.

i did this for MONTHS. NEVER changed the oil and never revved it past 4k because then it would stutter....fucking thing was knocking but as long as it had oil and i didnt go over 4k rpm....then it would drive perfectly... SOOOOO SLOOWWWW though

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
All this Saturn talk makes me sad we sold my wife's old SL1. :rofl: 111k and I think it needed a new tensioner. Developed some kind of lifter-like tick after sitting a few months. Figured something in the top end puked...so decided to get rid of it. Later on found it was probably something easy :fu:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info