1/4 mile convertible/t-top guys, NHRA/IHRA questions

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So with my departure from a Coupe into a Convertible that runs mid-12s essentially stock, who all has really dug into/dealt with the NHRA/IHRA rules?

From what I've read (gone through the online rule books), NHRA is fine with convertibles so long as they are essentially stock, aftermarket exhaust permitted, so long as you are 11.5 or slower (since like 2008 with the introduction of so many high powered OEM verts).

IHRA apparently seems to have conflicting information when it comes to convertibles. (Has a similar clause about OEM cars added about the same time as NHRA, but still a stip about 13.5 for soft tops)

The current plan is to just go and see if I get flack.

If I do, I'll order the Maximum Motorsports 05-14 bolt in roll bar(designed for verts, retains rear seats, belts, and top function) which doesn't meet safety requirements (does meet material, thickness, and positioning, but needs a harness/hoop bar, and potentially a 5 point bar on the driver side depending upon how you interpret the rules for IHRA), and have the harness bar done at my inlaws machine shop.

Thoughts? Anyone else run a vert/T-top car and have to deal with this?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I got kicked off the track at union grove for running 11.30 without a cage.i believe I was told 13.49 requires a roll bar.11.50 and faster requires roll cage.Byron never had any issues.tried Joliet once and was a no.no

GLD is a IHRA track, so Verts have the 13.5 rule, Byron is NHRA, where Verts don't apply if they are stock-ish up to 11.5.

IHRA's definition of a roll bar really is a 5 point cage... But I don't think GLD would give a shit so long as I have a visual bar.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info