Question on E85

Happy Monday.. Back at work and on the forum reading reading reading.... I'll get around to work later!!

Question.. E85.. Is any one gas station's E85 better or worse than another? I know the debate has been made about gas from Shell, BP, Mobile vs the cheaper gas stations; speedway, marathon, meijer, jewel, etc.. some say its better some say there is no difference, blah blah blah...

I am wondering if it has been proven with E85. for example. By my house two grocery stores have E85 for $2.29.. A shell about 5 miles away has it for $2.29 as well. A kwik trip also a few miles away has it for $2.15. A speedway near my work has it for $2.05. For the difference of $.25 from some to others. Is there any better or worse E85 out there?

Trying to avoid or weed out the "you got a tank of bad gas" problem...

Thanks for the feedback...
Mitch..

Well up here where I live I have
Woodmans, Meijer and Shell for $2.29
Kwik Trip for $2.15
Speedway for $2.05

Unfortunately I dont know how often they sell their fuel to know how long it's sat in the tank.. I would definitely love to test to know if a certain retailers E85 is what they claim it to be.. I see the E85 fuel tester on Amazon for a measly $20.. Definitely going to get one and test them. Once tested keep going to the same one. I noticed that the Kwik Trip has the "Top Tier" stamp on their pump of E85.. For whatever good that means. That's where I pump currently.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Avoid shell like the plague. It's garbage.

I've had extremely good luck with Thornton's and now Road Ranger.

Shell use to be awesome but then they started blending the fuel heavier with gasoline which cut down the ethanol content to 50-60% for better economy.

Thortons by me is great. My best recommendation is once you find a good station, use that primarily. Also once the summer blend rolls in the pumps typically don't change ethanol content that much until it gets back to being cold.

Do yourself a favor and buy the little e85 tester and get some samples. You don't need anything fancier than a test tube.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZJ749O/?tag=tcg21-20

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Buy the quick fuel tester it's like 10 bucks, there are only a couple gas stations around me with it but the shell was consistently 90+% this was 2 years ago though I haven't used e85 in 2 years :tear:

Shell use to be my go to as well a couple years back but last year they changed it to a different blend I want to say mid year.

l0wb00st

Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It
Jan 29, 2012
NW Suburbs
Most stations E85 isn't a product from that gas company. The Mobil by my house carries E85 and there is a big sign on the pump saying "this is not a Mobil product"

Generally speaking I usually don't even test my E85. My car isn't tuned on the ragged edge so that if I get E80 or E75 the car will be ok. It will run a little richer, but my timing isn't so aggressive that it will start knocking because of the slightly lower Ethanol content.

l0wb00st

Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It
Jan 29, 2012
NW Suburbs
I think the bigger problem honestly is the guy that tunes for e70 and then gets some e98. Then you are automatically leaning out the car commanding a higher afr than what is stoich for higher blends of ethanol.

Yes, very true. I always keep an eye on my AFR's so I can tell if I get a lower/higher ethanol content, but I haven't had it become a problem yet...Granted I usually only go to 3 stations that have E85 so it's not like I'm really travelling around trying every station haha

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Yes, very true. I always keep an eye on my AFR's so I can tell if I get a lower/higher ethanol content, but I haven't had it become a problem yet...Granted I usually only go to 3 stations that have E85 so it's not like I'm really travelling around trying every station haha

I monitor afr and knock. I've never seen knock and when i'm in the throttle and in boost it's always rich between .75-.85 lambda

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Most stations E85 isn't a product from that gas company. The Mobil by my house carries E85 and there is a big sign on the pump saying "this is not a Mobil product"

Generally speaking I usually don't even test my E85. My car isn't tuned on the ragged edge so that if I get E80 or E75 the car will be ok. It will run a little richer, but my timing isn't so aggressive that it will start knocking because of the slightly lower Ethanol content.

This is true about the stations. Seen it at a BP and that's how my car is setup.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info