It's that car buying time again. You have $5K to spend...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Last time I started a thread on what car to buy, you guys had some great suggestions. I ignored all of them and bought a Seville. Gotta say the car has been pretty good up until now when the steering rack decided to start leaking badly. I thought it was the pressure line but, no, it's the rack. Ordered an AC Delco replacement online. Waiting for it to come in now.

Anyways, I'm going to pick up another car to have a back up. For the sake of discussion, let's set the parameters at $5,000 max price. If you guys were going to get a Florida, rust free car for $5K or less, what would you buy? High mpg a plus. Dependabililty a plus. Coolness, big plus. Thanks in advance.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
LOL! John, that's mpg, not gpm. I do a lot of driving with my job and it would be helpful to have something that's fuel efficient, especially if it doesn't take Premium like the Caddy does.

A Grand Prix would be cool. Don't know if I want a brand that is no longer in existence. I have already passed on several Daewoos I saw for sale (hard to give those things away). :smile:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Early 2000s Acura TL
Late 90s Lexus ES 300 or mid 90s LS400

For fuel economy, I'm sure you could find a Honda Insight or higher mileage Prius in that range. I've also seen a few RSX's with high miles around that price.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004

Yes, I am looking at the models that Bru suggested. Nothing new on CL today as far as Lexus or Acura.

That Durango I posted has a good price and low mileage but I have no use for an SUV.

I'm not in a rush to grab a vehicle just to buy something. I will wait for the right car.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
That RL looks like it could pass for a 1994. No thanks.

[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] Don't the early 2k TL's suffer from transmission issues?

yeah, the RL is a weird car with expensive parts. navigation hard drive failure, auto dimming rear view mirror leaks, pretty much any control arm/bushing will need to be replaced (the anchor bolts usually weld themselves into the bushing sleeve)....etc.
and yeah, most any v6 honda before 2005 has transmission issues.

one thing to ask when looking at hondas and toyotas with around 100k miles is if the timing belt/water pump were replaced.
also, i wouldn't touch an old hybrid either. battery replacement is a big looming expense. do not want

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info