Electrical Guys - How many amps is save from the typical 12v system?

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
The family and I have a two week, 2500 mile vacation coming up. Being the techie guy that I am, I have stuff ready for the kids. I also have invertors and chargers and other things I want to run. The minivan comes with a 150amp alternator and I am not sure how much is used by the vehicle and how much safely available for devices. There are four cigarette lighter connections throughout the van. I am not an electrical guy, but I don't want to burn out the alternator while driving.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
newer vehicles can have the bcm programmed to either constant or ignition switched operation for the accessory ports.

Actually, the two up front by the driver has one of each and they are clearly marked.

I will check the manual when I get home and see if they are all hooked up to one fuse or multiple fuses. It's an oddball minivan and I can't find much online about it.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
1 amp vs 2.5 amps
IMG_0687_zpslhmnetgp.jpg

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I have a surface pro 3 with some movies I backed up and converted to files. I wanted to hook that up to a 24 monitor which is rated at only 1.2 amps. The minivan has the RCA cables inputs and I have a cable that goes from the 3.5mm headphone jack to the red/white RCA cables. This way, they could listen through the wireless headphones that come with the Van. I know it seems excessive, but happy quiet kids = happy dad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info