YouTube Huge NOS backfire & fire, plus bonus "Mountain Dew" mention...lolol

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Sounds like it burned through the nitrous feed hose or the fuel feed hose toward the end of the video. Scary stuff

Believe it or not, ive seen a nitrous fire put out with the shirt method first hand. But it was put out before it got that big.....and it was like 30 mexicans beating it with their shirts.

But still, it did work once.

I am willing to bet that you have never saw a "Nitrous fire" put out. ;) :)

Nitrous would've actually put the fire OUT. The key was on and it had fuel pressure at the rail. That caused the fire fountain at the end. As soon as the guy yelled for Mountain Dew, someone else should've yelled back "CODE RED!"

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jx0t0Pc4lAhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Agreed. Nitrous would have helped quite well in extinguishing a fuel fire; much in the same way that CO2 does.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
nitrous is an oxidizer with a larger fire it could help fuel the fire to an extent, if a nitrous and fuel line blow at the same time your going to have a bad day

No it's not. Oxygen is the "oxidizer" and oxygen is diatomic too, whereas a Nitrous molecule contains two nitrogen atoms and a single oxygen atom. So, in order for the oxygen atoms in Nitrous to be able to serve as an oxidizer, they have to separate from the bond between them and the nitrogen and then rebond with each other to form diatomic oxygen. This chemical reaction needs to take place before Nitrous can be broken down and the atoms rebond separately as diatomic nitrogen and diatomic oxygen Gasses and thus become an oxidizer. Regarding the way Nitrous is used in vehicles, the way this is accomplished is with EXTREME pressure and heat. The kind formed on the compression stroke of an engine. So, until that moment in time no oxidization will take place from the Nitrous because it is an inert gas at/near atmospheric pressure.

The reason a Nitrous bottle can "explode" has nothing to do with combustion and everything to do with Gasses boiling and expanding when heated until the point that the recently annealed bottle bursts.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
it begins to separate out at a given temperature pressure helps it happen faster but at 1000-1100ish degrees it will decompose, a gasoline fire is a decent amount hotter than that, I can look up specific examples if you want proof, i started off my career in the chemical industry working at an ammonium nitrate plant not saying im some sort of expert but i know oxidizers fairly well as well as most hydrocarbons

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
it begins to separate out at a given temperature pressure helps it happen faster but at 1000-1100ish degrees it will decompose, a gasoline fire is a decent amount hotter than that, I can look up specific examples if you want proof, i started off my career in the chemical industry working at an ammonium nitrate plant not saying im some sort of expert but i know oxidizers fairly well as well as most hydrocarbons

If you know oxidizers that well then you know that nitrous is NOT an oxidizer in a dangerous compounds sense of things. Saying nitrous is an oxidizer just because it happens to have oxygen bonded with it is like saying that CO2 is as well, for the same reason. I get what your meaning is with regards to chemical bond decomposition, but your statement that "nitrous is an oxidizer" is not an accurate one because it only adds to the combustion process after having gone through a change that yields diatomic oxygen. At that moment in time, the nitrous molecule no longer exists. If we're going to have this discussion then let's at least use less inaccurate terminology. :bigthumb:

What were your positions in the chemical industry by the way?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
If you know oxidizers that well then you know that nitrous is NOT an oxidizer, period. Saying nitrous is an oxidizer just because it happens to have oxygen bonded with it is like saying that CO2 is as well, for the same reason. Oxygen is an oxidizer; hence the "oxy" prefix for the term. I get what your meaning is with regards to chemical bond decomposition, but your statement that "nitrous is an oxidizer" is not an accurate one at all. If we're going to have this discussion then let's at least use less inaccurate terminology. :bigthumb:

What were your positions in the chemical industry by the way?

this is straight out of the definition of nitrous oxide, "At elevated temperatures, nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidizer similar to molecular oxygen"

I am currently a plant operator and in the past a plant operator and lab technician

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
this is straight out of the definition of nitrous oxide, "At elevated temperatures, nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidizer similar to molecular oxygen"

I am currently a plant operator and in the past a plant operator and lab technician

And at elevated temperatures a phase change will have occurred that transmogrified nitrous oxide molecules into yielding their oxygen. So, the resulting diatomic O2 is the oxidizing agent at that time. ;) We are getting into semantics perhaps at this point, but there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about nitrous oxide and its ability to aid in combustion within given environments. Sure, it starts to yield its oxygen at temps within the combustion range of gasoline, but since it is not contained, the reaction usually cannot happen fast enough to easily set off a chain reaction that creates an explosion if nitrous is just venting to atmosphere from a broken line. So the spraying nitrous overcomes this and aids more in putting the fire out than assisting its growth. It's kind of like blowing too hard while trying to start a campfire. Instead of making the flame bigger, it is put out by the very thing that could have otherwise helped it if introduced under different circumstances.

I am sure that's an interesting job. So, you're a chemist then? I have to admit, though a lot of it soaked in during classes in years past, chemistry is not a field that I would want to be in. When I got to the SPDF, drawing the physical shape of molecules, etc, crap that was enough for me. haha. I am more of a macro physics and structure guy myself.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
And at elevated temperatures a phase change will have occurred that transmogrified nitrous oxide molecules into yielding oxygen. So, the resulting diatomic O2 is the oxidizing agent at that time. ;)

I am sure that's an interesting job. So, you're a chemist then?

that's what i was saying maybe i wasn't explaining my side very well, spray some nitrous at a match and it will put it out, spray it into a big fuel fire and its a different story, it is classified as an oxidizer by the nfpa, im not saying it would take off like a rocket but the potential is there if the conditions are right

no being a lab tech is part of being an operator at alot of plants, but once you have experience you can move on to other places as either, I prefer to be an operator you at least get to go outside, currently I do both im a pipeline operator but also run all the lab test on the gas/propane/butane we move around

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
that's what i was saying maybe i wasn't explaining my side very well, spray some nitrous at a match and it will put it out, spray it into a big fuel fire and its a different story, it is classified as an oxidizer by the nfpa, im not saying it would take off like a rocket but the potential is there if the conditions are right

no being a lab tech is part of being an operator at alot of plants, but once you have experience you can move on to other places as either, I prefer to be an operator you at least get to go outside, currently I do both im a pipeline operator but also run all the lab test on the gas/propane/butane we move around

So.......what you're saying is that you can hook TCG up with a discount on some gasoline, then? :bigthumb:

:fy:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info