IL Plate Transfer Question

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
We are looking to replace my GFs vehicle in the next month or so. She tells me this morning that her plates expire Wednesday. I guess its my fault for not keeping track, oh well.

Anyway if we renew the plates can they be transferred to a new vehicle when purchased from the dealer? Would I just bring the plates and the paperwork with? We aren't trading in the current vehicle as its worth maybe $600. I don't want to spent $101 to get new plates and then have to get new ones again.

Would it be better/easier to let the plates the expire, buy the new car and then worry about selling her current one later? I do live in the city and have to park on the street so I'm kind of trying to avoid tickets.

Thanks

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
They usually give you a little bit of time after they expire, but IDK about Chicago. Probably not worth the risk. The fee to transfer plates is $25, so just spend the $101 now to save yourself from tickets and transfer the plates to the new car when you get it. BAM.

UNLESS, you buy the new car and transfer the plates, you'll need plates on her old car until it's sold, otherwise you'll get tickets. You're only saving $76 in the end, just renew the plates on the current car, and get new plates on the new car so you have plates on the old car long enough to sell it and increase the price to $676 to cover the costs.

10sec OUT.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
:werd:

I've always been told that if the plate expiration is under 30 days past the due date, you'll be OK and sort of looked past. Chicago, wouldn't surprise me if you said you came out to the car at 12:01am on July 1 and found a ticket written at 12:00am

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
They usually give you a little bit of time after they expire, but IDK about Chicago. Probably not worth the risk. The fee to transfer plates is $25, so just spend the $101 now to save yourself from tickets and transfer the plates to the new car when you get it. BAM.

UNLESS, you buy the new car and transfer the plates, you'll need plates on her old car until it's sold, otherwise you'll get tickets. You're only saving $76 in the end, just renew the plates on the current car, and get new plates on the new car so you have plates on the old car long enough to sell it and increase the price to $676 to cover the costs.

10sec OUT.

I'll probably end up just doing that. Just didn't know if I could bring in plates to transfer if the car sells before we go

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
i think the plate transfer is more than 25, at the dealer. id have to duble check the last paperwork we went through.

it really depends on when you want to get a new car. if you are getting a new car before the plates expire it is cheaper to get new plates.

if you just the plates it is cheaper to transfer hers. i usually go by the 4 month rule.

if i renewed my plates withn the last 4 months ill transfer them. anything else ill get new ones. this of corse, is going through a dealer. buying private party may be different.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
i think the plate transfer is more than 25, at the dealer. id have to duble check the last paperwork we went through.

it really depends on when you want to get a new car. if you are getting a new car before the plates expire it is cheaper to get new plates.

if you just the plates it is cheaper to transfer hers. i usually go by the 4 month rule.

if i renewed my plates withn the last 4 months ill transfer them. anything else ill get new ones. this of corse, is going through a dealer. buying private party may be different.

I'll probably just end up renewing the plates. The cost of new plates is going to be rolled into the new car anyway.

My original plan was to get the car replaced before it needed them, but I forgot to keep track and she told me this morning that she was going to go renew them tonight.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info