Best chances of preventing wheel theft?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I know wheel locks can be a joke and won't stop a determined thief, "Keeps honest people honest" or whatever. But we have a company car 2015 Honda Fit that after a week had its front wheel stolen - a colleague disrupted their attempt at the remaining three.

The Fit wheels seem to be in high demand as another colleague had her Fit Sport's wheels stolen, and the Honda dealer said Fit wheels are very often swiped.

I had the dealer install a set of accessory wheel locks, but what else can I do? Put a different wheel lock on each lug? The car has no choice but to stay outside on the street in the city. Are any wheel locks better than the other? I've been researching the Gorilla locks but they seem as easily defeat-able as any other wheel lock.

I'm debating buying a set of steel wheels for the thing.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Different wheel locks won't make a ton of difference. They're not likely using a key, but, rather a special socket that is used to remove wheel locks when the key is damaged or lost... Those sockets are pretty widely available, which, makes wheel locks an absolute joke to me.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
That's actually not a bad idea... Not necessarily a penis, but, at least some kind of marking that will deter theft and at least signify that the wheels are yours if they ever end up on the JDMslutlist Facebook page for the low.

I'm assuming this is a test car, and, you're not overly concerned with the appearance of the wheels. Moreso the reliability/durability of the car on a long term test.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
That's actually not a bad idea... Not necessarily a penis, but, at least some kind of marking that will deter theft and at least signify that the wheels are yours if they ever end up on the JDMslutlist Facebook page for the low.

I'm assuming this is a test car, and, you're not overly concerned with the appearance of the wheels. Moreso the reliability/durability of the car on a long term test.

My only concern is resale value. We buy our long-term test cars and sell them at the end of a year-long test.

I might get four locks for each lug and a security system. I'm guessing a whack of a hammer on a lug or jacking up the car is enough to set off an alarm. At my place, anyway, I can immediately turn on the outside flood light to the street.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
My only concern is resale value. We buy our long-term test cars and sell them at the end of a year-long test.

I might get four locks for each lug and a security system. I'm guessing a whack of a hammer on a lug or jacking up the car is enough to set off an alarm. At my place, anyway, I can immediately turn on the outside flood light to the street.

I'd say get a set of steel wheels or an alarm system. Even jacking the car up will set off a sensitive alarm.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
From my understanding, those only work with aftermarket wheels and not the OEMs. Something about how they sit in the wheel.

I would honestly talk to a small machine shop bring them a stock lug nut and the diameter of the recess and I bet they could make a spinning collar fur off the shelf locking lugs that would work perfect with your wheels

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info