Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
New thread. Anyone been testing lately? I'm back on e85 and have filled up once since the switch. Went to my tried and true Algonquin Thorntons. Its likely the usually 75%ish but I havent tested. Its minimum 70%.

Havent tried the Bloomingdale one yet. I THINK its a bit higher usually but I hate driving to it b/c 20 is usually a mess that direction.

Most of the stations super local to me are shit or got rid of it, as [MENTION=4838]1MEANGT[/MENTION] can attest to.

So ya...anyone do any testing yet?

Formula_LS1

Addict
Sep 27, 2008
Thortons by me (Park Ridge) is good to go. Test 87% a few days ago. I talked to the gas station owner because I noticed a lot of cars filling up with E85 and he said that a lot of local taxis actually use it so they refill it regularly. Some of the less busy areas might still have winter/spring blend left over.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i have a flex fuel kit and my tuning dealie is bluetooth enabled and allows ethanol % to be read, although the app isn't out yet. is for android, not for ios. curious to test my local thorntons. ended up finding e85 pretty close to both gingerman and autobahn too which was nice.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Shell is garbage. I just tested the shell on 72 in Dundee. Tested at MAYBE E60. Cannot find it anywhere close to us as Mook stated. Actually in the process of doing a 93 street tune as I am sick of hunting for E85. I love it but it is becoming a pain in my ass around me.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
i have a flex fuel kit and my tuning dealie is bluetooth enabled and allows ethanol % to be read, although the app isn't out yet. is for android, not for ios. curious to test my local thorntons. ended up finding e85 pretty close to both gingerman and autobahn too which was nice.

I cant find the ethonal % section of my torque app. Where is it?

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
In the winter, flex fuel needs more gasoline to increase the vapor pressure so cars will start. This is why Flex fuel can be as low at 51% ethanol (In Illinois, 70% is normal). In the summer, the vapor pressure can be low, really low and cars will still start, so higher ethanol content is OK. This means economics drives the ethanol percentage. With ethanol currently very cheap compared to gasoline, blenders will maximize ethanol content. They will blend to 83% all summer long. Any higher is against the law. Any lower is giving money away.

("E85" can be as high as 85% denatured ethanol. Denatured ethanol is 2% denaturant, and 98% ethanol, a.k.a E98. "E85" is therefore about 83% pure ethanol maximum.)

The testers and sensors people use cannot distinguish between ethanol and water. And it's not uncommon for water to find it's way into underground storage tanks. Wet flex fuel will appear to have a higher ethanol content than it really is. If you are testing greater than 83% in the summer, you should suspect water contamination.

The testers are not that accurate either. Probably plus or minus 5% between two people.

If you are really serious about flex fuel fuel quality, read this:
http://www.crcao.org/reports/recentstudies2012/E-85-2/CRC Project E-85-2 Final Report.pdf

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info