Today's Minor Car related Cooper disaster

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So Cliffs: Ever since Mini flashed the ECU to deal with a Brake Pad notification light as part of a TSB like a year ago, the Stereo every one in a while cuts out for like 15 seconds, and just 'comes back' (I assumed it was randomly rebooting or something?). Its officially shit the bed and the Dealer network has gone Full Retard.

Full Story:
Today the stereo (which is the headunit that handles trip computer, clock, temperature outside, etc, etc) decided to cut off and on repeatedly, and then just stay off. Then going to my next destination it stayed on and worked for a little while, when I turned off the car, it CONTINUED to play even with the key out of the ignition and the doors open (This is not a feature of this car, as soon as you pull the key, its supposed to turn off).

So I'm in the freaking grocery store parking lot with a car that is off and parked stuck playing music and draining its battery. I end up aborting that mission and going to an autoparts store to borrow a 10mm wrench to disconnect the battery.

I let it Discharge for like 15 minutes, put the battery back on, and it let me set the clock, and change from CD to Tuner. It then shuts off.

I start the car back up, and its just frozen with the clock stuck at the time I set, and no functions on the center console work outside of the Climate and Windows.

I call Orland Park Mini (which HAS been an amazing dealer to us), and it turns out they sold their Franchise to Zeigler BMW, and are now a Kia dealer... :roflpicard:

I call Zeigler BMW to get the car in for service (Since I won't risk Theresa being abandoned with a dead car battery in a 2 year old car that's having a temper tantrum), and then inform me "They have no diagnostic tools currently, and can't do anything outside of basic maintenance and have no ETA on when they will be able to do anything more".

I REFUSE to bring the car to Bill Jacobs because their sales people tried pulling a shady tactic on me (which cost them loosing the sale to Orland Park), and then had a 3 week waiting list for Oil Changes because they have frequent technician strikes as they apparently treat their techs poorly.... They also couldn't handle giving me a quote for replacing a single pane of glass on the car (Took talking to managers, and 4 days to get a quote to just replace a driver side window door glass....) :angrys00ls:

So this new franchise owner clearly doesn't have their shit together, and Jacobs are morons, so now I'm going to call Schamburg Mini tomorrow and hope for the best (Patrick Mini)....

SERIOUSLY questioning the future of Mini as a brand when their dealer network in such a populated area is such a mess...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This makes me REALLY gun shy, the car has been damn near flawless to us after 25,000 miles of fairly hard driving. Its 1,000 miles outside of its free maintenance, so we are down to our last 11,000 of bumper to bumper. We planned on putting this thing into the ground, but it doesn't take much 'Gremlin' behavior to scare me out of a car to be honest.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Minis are shit anyway, best trade it in before everything else goes wrong

When I first purchased it, I said I didn't want to own it outside of a warranty, Period.

Over the past 2 years, the car has really grown on me, and has been essentially problem free, but right now I own TWO cars with Gremlins... (Mustang has a CEL that the dealership is going to have a hell of a time chasing down).

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Every once in a while, my Saab will have this key error where when the key is turned off and pulled out, the car's electronics are still on. I just turn off the stereo and let it be, let it sit over night, etc. It starts the next time just fine - never had a dead battery yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info