Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
neat.

The $26,000 Silverado Exists And It

wjbsw6zyxwyxhqqnewyb.jpg

Cars and trucks are often advertised at their starting price but once you select the configuration that fits you it can add thousands to the price. You may be wondering whether a cheap truck has an actual seat or possibly a wooden stool. I recently assisted in the purchase of a truck that actually has a pretty good configuration and a V8 that was purchased for less than the advertised starting price

The Chevrolet Silverado starts at $26,170 and theoretically this gets you a regular cab truck with a V6 and not much else. The model that we purchased is the 2015 Silverado Double Cab which officially starts at $31,390. We got some options added and paid much less. The Silverado that was purchased has a window sticker with the following options and pricing:

MSRP and Destination $31,390
Trailering Package $770
5.3L EcoTec3 V8 Engine $1,095
E85 FlexFuel Capable Engine $100
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller $230
Bedliner $395
Cargo Box LED Lighting $125
Total Price $34,105
As you can see the truck has lots of useful features and this specific stock was selected because it would be used as true work truck. The trailering package adds a locking rear differential that is very useful. The more power motor uses just a little more fuel but add more torque and the trailer brake controller is helpful for towing. Overall, the truck is very useful for its intended purpose. The LED lights were already present on this model and not something that we specifically looked for but in the end they proved quite useful.

We approached the dealer knowing information about current incentives as well as stipulating that we would like to purchase using their credit union/supplier pricing. We started the negotiation from below the incentive price and asked them to cover the bedliner with an accessory discount. They agreed to add a $400 accessory discount to cover the bedliner and to work with us on the incentives. Once all was worked out, we ended up at a price of $26070. Here is how it all worked out.

Total Price $34,105
Accessory Discount -$400
Custom Package Discount -$1,700
Customer Rebate -$5,935
Price After Discounts $26,070
The price of the truck ended up $100 less than what a regular cab model with no options was advertised and even adding the $1040 in taxes and fees, we still ended up with an off-the-lot price of $27,110. Since modern work trucks have many of the amenities that higher models offer such as power windows, the only items that truly differentiate this truck from its higher priced siblings are the black bumpers and basic head unit. Both of these items are not an issue for a working truck but could be upgraded for a fairly low cost after the purchase.

notbad.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It can be done. My 2011 Sierra had a window sticker of $38,900. I got about $9,600 in potential rebates getting my truck down just under $30,000 for an extra cab Z71 with leather, power everything, etc... If I have the opportunity to do that purchase again with the rebates, I will.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I just did a quick build and price and I can get into a 1500 Sierra for like $41,600 that has some pretty nice options. Figure that minus what I could do on incentives it would put me $3,000 over what I paid for my last one.

However, I will not be buying another truck until

1) I own a house
2) I can afford the exact truck I want (Crew Cab, 8' box, 4x4, Diesel with heated leather) Don't care about nav, sunroof, etc... but the stuff I mentioned are musts)

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I won't be using the truck for work, however, I tow A LOT, and 90% of the time I'm towing it's of a distance greater than 100 miles. Having a truck with more than enough power to pull what I'm pulling is nice.

Example: My 2011 Sierra was rated to tow 10,000#'s, but, it still sucked doing a 450 mile trip with the truck hung in 4th gear the ENTIRE time. Having the diesel will be "overkill" for what I'm pulling, but, it will do it effortlessly.

I'm not one of the hilbilly I want a diesel people, I've owned my fair share of 1/2 to pickups to safely say that I feel like for what I ask of a truck, the diesel is warranted.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
i think 5 years ago when your sierra was new it would be warranted, but even since then, gas trucks have come so far.... the added initial cost as well as maintenance just seems imprudent...

My Dad is supposedly buying a new 2500 gas truck for my mom. I'll get to drive that and see how it does. If he buys here that though, I'll be buying the 2500 Yukon from him, so that'll solve the problem for the time being lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info