YouTube Motorweek Retro Videos

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
These cars had some impressive numbers for the mid 90s. Even for 40g, they were pretty competitive.

Lets see, 20 years later, Mitsu's dead, Mazda will never make a car like the rx7 ever again, Toyota "could" build the supra again, and Nissan was able to keep the Z car around for the most part although it was striped down mechanically. It's nuts that these cars are making less hp than a base model Hyundai genesis coupe.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
All of their prices went up rather high towards the end of their time here.

Z sold the most it's first 2 years and tailed off a ton until they stopped selling it here in 1996. They stopped selling it in japan as late as 2000. They were around 30-33k in 1990 and up to like 45-50k in 1996.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Bump. Here's a reminder to be thankful we live in the times that we do. God the 80s were a horrible time for cars :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV0g5AL0u-I

Hindsight is always 20/20 though...

Being a kid of the 80's, when the TPI's F-Body's and Vette's came out in what, 1985/86'ish, they were today, the equivalent of what a Camaro SS is today. The old 5.0 (remember everyone wanting LX notches...) would be the equivalent of the Coyote today.

And these cars, were stellar compared to any honda accord or toyota camry of the day. Did they even crack the 100hp threshold? A Chevrolet Celebrity or ford Taurus was somewhere just north of that if I recall.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The early 80's were the very beginning of the modern HP wars. MFG's were finally figuring out how to make Fuel Injection work in performance and how to go about modifying the cars.

It took a long time because mechanics who understood how an engine worked had no idea how a computer worked. So while they could alter the hard parts, they had no idea how to adjust the computer programming to work with the new parts.

You see a lot of bandaids for 80's fuel injection cars to trick the computer into doing things.

That said, the 80's platforms were not that bad from a handling standpoint. I've got a late 80's High Performance Pontiac where Guldstrand got a stock TPI F-body to over 1G lateral grip and huge gains in handling with just an alignment, sway bar, spring, and modern (at the time) summer performance street tires.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
That said, the 80's platforms were not that bad from a handling standpoint. I've got a late 80's High Performance Pontiac where Guldstrand got a stock TPI F-body to over 1G lateral grip and huge gains in handling with just an alignment, sway bar, spring, and modern (at the time) summer performance street tires.

Totally. Early C4 Corvettes were 1g cars with the Z51 package.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj6PE38oByc

is it just the aspect ratio......or were these cars really THAT high off the ground in 98?? Good christ. The cobra especially looks like a god damn monster truck rolling around that track.

My TransAm is looks positively 4x4 with its stock fender gap.

7990503066_2e70c02ecc_o.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
A malaise era Mustang turned a 14.3 quarter mile? That seems amazing.

That was the 4V motor not the poverty 2V. Totally different animals, and kind of an interesting comparison since the Camaro is 1/3 less. The GT of the era would have probably been a fairer comparison at some level. I expect the GT would have been a pig as well, but I digress.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info