jalopnik: best full size pickup under 40k

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
cliffs.

silverado is fucking awesome all around.

ram is a great truck too. the 8-speed is awesome.

f150 is a pricey thirsty beast and a half.

the end.

The Best Full-Size Pickup Truck Under $40,000

Best Overall: Chevrolet Silverado

The 2015 Chevrolet Silverado has a smooth ride, solid ergonomics, and the most timeless (simple) styling of any full-size truck on the market right now. But it clinched this category thanks to cheaper features and an excellent capability-to-efficiency ratio.

The Silverado was the only extended cab 4WD pickup we were able to spec with a V8 engine and navigation, and still be under-budget enough to order the trailering package. That adds an automatically locking rear differential and takes the truck's towing potential to 9,500 pounds; none of the competitors could come close without sacrificing features or exceeding the $40,000 budget.

Being able to afford the optional 5.3 EcoTec3 V8 means the Silverado was making much more power than similarly-priced Fords and Rams with their respective base V6s. And better than that; the EcoTec3 hits peak power lower in the rev range which gives the truck grunt where it needs it most. All that only comes at a cost of one MPG compared to Ford's naturally aspirated six-cylinder.

The Right Spec: Double Cab/Standard Box LT 4WD with the optional 5.3 V8 engine, trailering package, and navigation for $39,335

The High-Economy Hauler: Ram 1500

The Ram 1500 really offers a lot of truck for comparatively little money, and based on observed real-world driving it's the leanest on fuel consumption by a significant margin.

The 3.6 gasoline V6 and new 3.0 EcoDiesel take their sweet time getting from A to B, but they're satisfying for long hauls or light work and Ram's smooth-shifting, eight-speed, knob-activated automatic transmission is excellent. Diesel might cost more at the pump where you live, but there's still something awesome about having a 600-mile range.

But if you want the D, you're going to have to pass on infotainment or other niceties. The EcoDiesel engine option is about $4,000.

The best value is realized at the lower end of Ram's lineup. If you option-up a base Tradesman as needed instead of going for one of the fancier rigs, you can get a lot of great options and relatively spectacular fuel economy for almost four grand under budget. The Silverado only beat Ram to the top spot because it brought way more capability to the table without burning too much more fuel. If "cheap and efficient" is at the top of your wish list, the V6 Ram is your truck.

The Right Spec: Quad Cab/6'4" Box Tradesman 4WD with Uconnect infotainment, backup camera, "anti-spin" rear differential, skid plates, tow hooks, air suspension, and 3.6 Pentastar V6 for $36,390

Vulgar Display Of Power: Ford F-150

The 2015 Ford F-150 can just about carry the weight of a Ford Fiesta in its bed and tow its own mass twice over on a trailer hitch. It's also got the best barrage of trick features you've never seen in a pickup; from 360-degree maneuvering cameras to massaging seats.

So why wasn't it an easy win here? It costs a fortune to buy, even more to fuel, and of course those chart-topping accolades are only realized "when properly equipped."

The budget-conscious buyer's first instinct might be to go for the naturally-aspirated V6; but you'll still just barely be able to afford the good radio while cheaper V8 Silverados haul ahead of you towing another 2,500 pounds.

Forget that, if you're going to spend $40,000 on an F-150 get the toys that matter: the long cargo box, the Heavy Payload package, and that fire-breathing turbocharged temptress the 3.5 EcoBoost engine. That powerhouse paired up with the Heavy Payload's 9.75" gearset will take your payload max up to 2,760 pounds and allow for almost 12,000 pounds of towing. That. Is. Insane.

Of course, to stay under budget (and just) you're going to have to skip every luxury option right down to good old fashioned crank windows. But if you really need the most capable vehicle under $40,000, F-150's where it's at. Spec the rear-wheel drive version to free up a few extra pounds for cargo.

The Right Spec: SuperCab/Long Box XL 4WD with the 3.5 EcoBoost engine and Heavy Duty Payload/Max Trailering Package for $39,120

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Vulgar Display Of Power: Ford F-150

The 2015 Ford F-150 can just about carry the weight of a Ford Fiesta in its bed and tow its own mass twice over on a trailer hitch. It's also got the best barrage of trick features you've never seen in a pickup; from 360-degree maneuvering cameras to massaging seats.

So why wasn't it an easy win here? It costs a fortune to buy, even more to fuel, and of course those chart-topping accolades are only realized "when properly equipped."

The budget-conscious buyer's first instinct might be to go for the naturally-aspirated V6; but you'll still just barely be able to afford the good radio while cheaper V8 Silverados haul ahead of you towing another 2,500 pounds.

Forget that, if you're going to spend $40,000 on an F-150 get the toys that matter: the long cargo box, the Heavy Payload package, and that fire-breathing turbocharged temptress the 3.5 EcoBoost engine. That powerhouse paired up with the Heavy Payload's 9.75" gearset will take your payload max up to 2,760 pounds and allow for almost 12,000 pounds of towing. That. Is. Insane.

Of course, to stay under budget (and just) you're going to have to skip every luxury option right down to good old fashioned crank windows. But if you really need the most capable vehicle under $40,000, F-150's where it's at. Spec the rear-wheel drive version to free up a few extra pounds for cargo.

The Right Spec: SuperCab/Long Box XL 4WD with the 3.5 EcoBoost engine and Heavy Duty Payload/Max Trailering Package for $39,120

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
First time I agree with them. Fords are way over priced when it comes to trucks. We are looking for a new truck for my father in law currently and I couldnt believe what ford wanted for the newer trucks with bare bones options. No brainer hes going GM all the way

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Pick ups ain't what they used to be. I know a few people who have trucks and nothing has ever been put in the bed.

My truck is filthy in and out and the bed is already scratched to shit. I need a bed liner!

Its nice to see that trucks are getting those options though. Who really could use heated and massage seats more? The person who drives the Mercedes and sits in the office all day, or the construction worker who works outside all day in the elements.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
They do that for a reason. Because it give them a better chance of finding that exact vehicle you want already sitting on a dealers lot. Instead of you ordering your vehicle and waiting for it to come in. Then basically they have a million different versions of the same truck with minor changes here and there.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
First time I agree with them. Fords are way over priced when it comes to trucks. We are looking for a new truck for my father in law currently and I couldnt believe what ford wanted for the newer trucks with bare bones options. No brainer hes going GM all the way

Just remember that every year around model end time, they give out like $10k off those trucks. So if you ever wanted an F150, best to buy around the sept/oct time of the year when all the newer models start showing up. I regularly see adds and commercials for Ford dealers selling F150s for $10k off sticker or more. At that point, they are very competitive vs GM and RAM. I'd take a F150 over all the others.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I like the Lariat FX4 supercrew cab short bed with the 3.5 ecoboost. Silver please. I drove one a few days ago(2015), and LOVED it. Very nice trucks.

maxresdefault.jpg

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
All of them are nice trucks. I think Ford and Dodge are my two favorites over GM (I did have a GM prior to my Dodge) because of their interiors or exteriors. My deciding factor was the engine as I wanted the fuel economy of the Eco-Diesel. So many talk about the Eco-Boost fuel economy but the real world numbers owners are seeing don't support it. I towed my GN 130+ miles this weekend and the average fuel economy was 18mpg. I'm driving to New Orleans Thursday and will report back what my overall trip is... I'm guessing somewhere between 26-28mpg.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
All of them are nice trucks. I think Ford and Dodge are my two favorites over GM (I did have a GM prior to my Dodge) because of their interiors or exteriors. My deciding factor was the engine as I wanted the fuel economy of the Eco-Diesel. So many talk about the Eco-Boost fuel economy but the real world numbers owners are seeing don't support it. I towed my GN 130+ miles this weekend and the average fuel economy was 18mpg. I'm driving to New Orleans Thursday and will report back what my overall trip is... I'm guessing somewhere between 26-28mpg.

Yeah I think the ecoboost "gas mileage" honeymoon is over. Pretty much everyone knows they are a V8 replacements with similar gas mileage. No surprises there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info