LS3 Porsche 944 Bent rod after Dogie Diner meet.... Now weighing options.

ewillmann

Mar 21, 2015
So I left the meet Saturday and was driving down 59 and got into it quite a bit and suddenly got a bad vibration and it died. I coasted it to a stop and now it's back at home in the garage. I got it to start but it has a nasty knock. I'm guessing it's a bent rod. We're going to start tearing it down tomorrow. Trying to decide on whether I should just buy a new short block, or do a rotating assembly and build it myself. Anyone have any ideas? Either way I go I'll probably bump it up to a 427. "While I'm in there". Does anyone here build motors on the side or anything?
f0703092660d08cceae4eaa6f468839a_zpsdrjlx6qv.jpg

ewillmann

Mar 21, 2015
Yeah it sucks but I'm glad it happened on the street and not at the track. It's a very purpose built road race car. Weighing in between shortblock and a rotating assembly. Having anyone build me one around here will be way to expensive. Unless I can find someone that does it on the side.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Hey man! I wasn't @ DD on Saturday cuz I was a bit under the weather... but Jared (offshoredrilling) is giving sound advice when he says tear it down before you make any decisions.

I've build a number of LS motors over the years, many of them step by step while taking pictures and posting to TCG :D , so if you need any help, feel free to ask.

Loved the pics of the car I saw after the meet... sorry to hear it met its demise this way. Hopefully its just a spun bearing and you can rebuild her quick. :bigok:

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX

ewillmann

Mar 21, 2015
As far as breaking it down first; yes were pulling it tonight and ill have it on the stand ready to go... The internals were all stock, so Im betting that is why it failed. I have RHS heads on it now, (which is why I don't think its the heads... Also it does start and there is a hard knock) and a few other power adders so it probably went from to much power. So minimally will do a rotating assembly to beef it up and get more cubes out of it. If anyone wants to come by and shoot the shit while we pull the motor I live in Bolingbrook near Weber and 111th. Ill have beer. Were starting around 5:00...

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
As far as breaking it down first; yes were pulling it tonight and ill have it on the stand ready to go... The internals were all stock, so Im betting that is why it failed. I have RHS heads on it now, (which is why I don't think its the heads... Also it does start and there is a hard knock) and a few other power adders so it probably went from to much power. So minimally will do a rotating assembly to beef it up and get more cubes out of it. If anyone wants to come by and shoot the shit while we pull the motor I live in Bolingbrook near Weber and 111th. Ill have beer. Were starting around 5:00...

IM IN DOWNERS

I wouldnt be opposed to this.. :fy:

ewillmann

Mar 21, 2015
Randy at PER quoted me 4400.00 ish for an assembled 427 short block. Using my block. So i may be better off just getting one from Texas Speed or something. I'm going to have to think about it. I could probably part my LS3 out though for a few extra bucks. As for PER I actually have an LS2 sitting on a shelf over there, waiting for me to either build it or sell it. Already machined and stuff. Along with a set of built 243's... They are very expensive and the quotes they give are always more when the stuff gets there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info