Any TCG Members work for KIA? / Need some warranty advice.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
My Girlfriend has a 2010 Kia Forte Koup with 60,800 miles. Since owning it, it's been to the dealer numerous times for repair. Within the past two years it's received three o2 sensors and a catalytic converter and has a starting issue that has yet to be resolved (multiple attempts to crank over engine before it will fire). About 8 months ago the car began to develop an engine noise on startup which has been getting progressively worse. I've been telling her to take it in for a while now, but, she's been busy between work and school. She finally got around to taking it in last week and low and behold, the car needs a new engine along with a slew of other work. The engine is thankfully covered under their 10yr / 100k powertrain warranty. My problem is this; The car needs front struts, front control arms and front end links. The parts total up to around $810 and labor is $1,040. These parts would've been covered under the 6yr/60,000 mile warranty, however, the car has 60,800. The dealership said that they would cover the parts, but, she would still have to pay $1,040 in labor to have the work done.

Just wondering if anyone here works for KIA or has dealt with a similar situation. Worst case scenario, I can get aftermarket parts and install them at the body shop on a Saturday for around $350 my cost. No biggie, but I'd prefer they get covered by the manufacturer as this car has had a long list of documented problems, and, she's hesitant to throw any additional money into it now as she'd like to get into something else as soon as possible (which will probably be roughly two years).

Any help would be appreciated. I have the corporate number for KIA, and will be giving them a jingle tomorrow or Thursday to see what they have to say.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm going to start there tomorrow. She has every service record on the thing since new, so, that'll help. The dealership told us that they spoke to corporate and that they would only cover the cost of parts. I smell bullshit, but, I may be wrong. I was mainly looking to find someone who could get it all approved, or, at least help me leverage Schaumburg Kia into trying a bit harder with the claim.

As far as the old engine, I'd assume it goes back to Kia so they can inspect it to see what the failure was caused by and aid in design of future engines. I'm assuming that this is relatively common, however, as the new engine is three weeks backordered.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Not surprised they want to do a 50/50 split with you. Yes its only 800 miles out, but those parts probably didnt just start to fail in the last 800 miles. And since the car was not taken in under b2b warranty they dont feel like they should cover all of it. (That is how I am assuming they are looking at this) And like you said things have been happening with the car for a while she just never took it in.

A 50/50 split is not uncommon and frankly it might be the only thing you get out of them.

Oh and dont even bother asking them to give you the parts for free and you will install them. That is a warranty and legal nightmare and they would never consider it if they have at least a small pea sized brain. Not to be a debbie downer or anything.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
debbie-downer.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info