LS1 Cam Discussion (2004 GTO)

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
Now that I have pretty much decided upon keeping the GTO, it is time to start pricing out a cam install. For all those of you that have experience with the LS engines, I am looking for guidance on what I should and should not be doing.

Based upon my previous research, I was considering either the 224R or 228R. I also read a lot of good things about Ed at Flowtech Induction and the custom cams he makes for your application. I am open to any/all suggestions regarding cam selection.

I am also looking for information on what else is required/suggested to accompany a cam install. Pushrods, stall, oil pump, etc.

And what route did everyone take for tuning after the install?

Current status of my car is as follows:

2004 A4 GTO
-JBA Shorty Headers and Catless Mids (Will replace with longtubes)
-Intake
-Speed Inc Base Tune (Can apply towards dyno tune purchase)

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
You will want hardened pushrods, double roller timing set, valve springs to go along with the larger cam. Oil pump is optional but recommended while your already in there. A stall is also highly recommended. I'm running a 4000 stall in my Trans am.

As far as the cam, If you don't daily drive I would go bigger than the tsp 228r. I had one in my camaro SS and it just didn't feel like enough. Check out a speed inc si5 camshaft.

Oh and tuning..... Speed inc or gtfo

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
You will want hardened pushrods, double roller timing set, valve springs to go along with the larger cam. Oil pump is optional but recommended while your already in there. A stall is also highly recommended. I'm running a 4000 stall in my Trans am.

As far as the cam, If you don't daily drive I would go bigger than the tsp 228r. I had one in my camaro SS and it just didn't feel like enough. Check out a speed inc si5 camshaft.

Oh and tuning..... Speed inc or gtfo

At what point/cam does a stall became necessary? How much would I miss out on if I were to keep the stock stall in there?

Ed Curtis / flowtech all the way. Thats what I have in my car. Wish I could find the receipt for my install that listed all the other crap that went along w/ it. springs/pushrods/etc. I know its around here somewhere.

The forums over at LS1GTO are originally what pointed me in his direction. Who did your tuning?

why shorty headers?

I picked them up cheap off craigslist and they were relatively painless to install. I have JBA catless mids as well.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
At what point/cam does a stall became necessary? How much would I miss out on if I were to keep the stock stall in there?.

The stall is there to get you up and moving into your particular cams power band faster. It will help with your launches and driveability with a large cam. I've run everything from a 3600 yank to a 4400 loose tci. If you went bigger on the cam and left the stall stock it could have driveability issues and it would be a complete turd from a dead stop.

But to answer your question I would honestly put a stall in with any of those cams. Even the 224 you mentioned. You would just lower the stall speed to that cams power making rpm. Texas speed also has in the description of the 228r cam that they recommend a higher than stock stall

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Didnt read any of the responses.

Supporting parts you'll need: pushrods, springs, locks, retainers, double roller totally not necessary. Replace the timing chain with a fresh OEM one.

A torque converter is ALWAYS a great idea. You'll gain more ET in the quarter mile from that than the cam. If you're going to do one id invest in a trans cooler at the same time. If this is your DD id keep it under 3400, if its not then mo' is betta' to some degree. I daily drove my TBSS with a 4000 in it.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
That ms4 is a badass cam. pretty comperable to the speed inc si6 camshaft. I believe the MS4 is one of the largest cams you can install without flycutting the pistons. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also with the MS4 or the SI6 you will need a stall converter. They are serious camshafts. Something at least 3600 rpm stall wise. No if's and's or butt's about that. So expect to budget at least another 800-900 dollars on top of the cam package for that stall.

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
[MENTION=418]1998gpgt[/MENTION]

I guess we all should have asked you what are your goals for the cam install? Are you looking for a specific time at the track, Badass idle, or just something with a little more bite than stock?

My goal is to go fast. If possible, I would like to be able to crack into the 11's. Not sure if that is doable without heads.

And speaking of heads, would it make sense to run a bigger cam on the stock heads?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info