Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Hope he gets the death penalty. SCUM OF THE EARTH!

Nissan Silvia smuggler faces maximum 20-year, $250k sentence

It's likely because the Silvia was never certified for use on American roads (and because the culprit apparently didn't go through the correct channels) that the unidentified man in Ocean Springs, MS, is reportedly facing a $250,000 fine and up to 20 years in prison. Here's hoping whatever else he's got in the driveway is just as fast, because it looks like he'll have a lot of time to make up for.

This country can be utterly refuckingtarded at times. Wow.

Crush the fucking car and be done with it. 250k and prison time is insane.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
If he was black the police would be justified in choking him to death because he was breaking the law.

18570.gif

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
The 20 years goes toward smuggling illegal goods so it applies to everything. It wasn't a threat and would never even come close to being applied here. It's to prevent smuggling of ivory, drugs, whatever else.

The reactions in the comments are ridiculous where people are saying "Murder someone and only get 10 and this guy gets 20? What a waste of tax dollars!!"

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
He isn't going to get a single day of jail time.

How do you know that? I agree, but it isn't a given.

Customs is not to be taken lightly. I do import and export. It isn't something you want to deal with because of a mistake on paperwork. Forget strait up falsifying paperwork and so on.

Obviously not, but to threaten with such extremes? Come on.

Those are probably the accumulative maximum penalties allowed for the laws he is being charged for breaking. Law makers put it on paper.

He wasn't smuggling drugs or a dirty bomb into the country. So i doubt he will see close to the maximum penalties if he is found guilty. I am sure he will spend some money on a lawyer and make a good plea bargain for minimal penalties.

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
How do you know that?

Customs is not to be taken lightly. I do import and export. It isn't something you want to deal with because of a mistake on paperwork. Forget strait up falsifying paperwork and so on.

Those are probably the accumulative maximum penalties allowed for the laws he is being charged for breaking. Law makers put it on paper.

He wasn't smuggling drugs or a dirty bomb into the country. So i doubt he will see close to the maximum penalties if he is found guilty. I am sure he will spend some money on a lawyer and make a good plea bargain for minimal penalties.

I know because I saw the final verdict :)

He got 36 months of probation and $18000 fine! Which is a huge fine for a car but since it doesn't meet EPA, yada yada yada. They can classify it as a poison probably.

Either way. You are 100% right about falsifying documents and things like that. That's why the max is 20 years. They dropped the charges on him of wire fraud.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Huh, small world that this story made it here! A few buddies have been talking about this for the last few weeks.

I used to live down in Ocean Springs, MS, and have quite a few friends that knew this guy; and what he used to do. I don't believe I ever met him personally, but from what they have been saying, this wasn't an isolated incident with him. He has been doing this stuff for years, and being pretty damned shady about it all too when it came time for the sale. They weren't surprised at all that he got caught and is facing jailtime. Seemed like a pretty sheister dude.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007

All I want is the germans to smuggle in some beer with the machines when they ship them.

I do know if anything is labeled gear, gear box, or motor, it takes forever to get it out of kunen Nagle ( spelling?)

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
I know because I saw the final verdict :)

He got 36 months of probation and $18000 fine! Which is a huge fine for a car but since it doesn't meet EPA, yada yada yada. They can classify it as a poison probably.

Either way. You are 100% right about falsifying documents and things like that. That's why the max is 20 years. They dropped the charges on him of wire fraud.

So what was the fate of the car :dunno:

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

This. I used to do exports as well. Whether you smuggled in a spoon or 500 kilos of columbian bam bam, if they prove you did it with intent, they will give you what they can. You can't show favoritism just because he was a desperate car enthusiast.

If it turns out it was all just botched paper work and no harmful/illegal intent, he'll probably just get with a huge fine that he'll be paying off for the better part of his life. If he purposefully smuggled in a car, then good bye to your normal life, brochacho.

And I kind of agree with it too. Just because you purposely smuggled a car in instead of weapons/drugs/human trafficking, doesnt make you any less a criminal than those that do.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
This. I used to do exports as well. Whether you smuggled in a spoon or 500 kilos of columbian bam bam, if they prove you did it with intent, they will give you what they can. You can't show favoritism just because he was a desperate car enthusiast.

If it turns out it was all just botched paper work and no harmful/illegal intent, he'll probably just get with a huge fine that he'll be paying off for the better part of his life. If he purposefully smuggled in a car, then good bye to your normal life, brochacho.

And I kind of agree with it too. Just because you purposely smuggled a car in instead of weapons/drugs/human trafficking, doesnt make you any less a criminal than those that do.

He purposely smuggled them in and tried to falsify the registration.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info