Bike question - If it's not broken, don't fix it?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I've got my 99 Ninja 250 sitting is storage right now and I'm getting the itch to pull it out of its storage and bring it back to my garage. Obviously it's too early to start riding it on the street but I would like to start twisting the wrench on it. The bike last season ran flawlessly. New brakes (lines, fluid, pads), tires. No issues with that carbs that I could tell.

Since there is going to be a good few months before its practicle to ride, I would have time to start doing some not so fun projects on it. Id like to adjust the valves, Clean the carbs, Sync the carbs, lube the swing arm, and a few other odds and ends from here.

I'd like to get some advice. I know from past experiences with other hobbys, if its not broken don't fix it. Especially since this is the first bike I have ever worked on. I am afraid of screwing something up that was not broken to begin with. Should I wait if/when I see an issue with something to service it, or should I just tackle everything before the season?

PS - Side question - Should I dump the gas that is in the bike that has Lucas fuel stabilizer (<-- Dont click that one, thats an advertisement) in it before I ride the bike or is it safe to use? The bike has only been sitting sinc the end of November.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
why would you want to adjust the valves? how many miles are on the bike? is the valvetrain noisy? personally i wouldnt touch it
cleaning the carb is always a good idea. needle and seat/clean the bowl out is usually all you need to do assuming the bike ran ok.
pretty sure the 250s are only single cylinder, which means it only has one carb (no need to sync)

was the bike parked with a full tank of fuel?
i wouldn't dig too far into it, Confucius say dont fix working clock.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
why would you want to adjust the valves? how many miles are on the bike? is the valvetrain noisy? personally i wouldnt touch it
cleaning the carb is always a good idea. needle and seat/clean the bowl out is usually all you need to do assuming the bike ran ok.
pretty sure the 250s are only single cylinder, which means it only has one carb (no need to sync)

was the bike parked with a full tank of fuel?
i wouldn't dig too far into it, Confucius say dont fix working clock.

The bike has about 9000 miles on it. No reason to adjust the valves other than the fact that I read often that its a part of scedueled maitnence. No noises that I notice. Idles fine. The bike does have two carbs and does have two cylinders.

It was parked with a full tank.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
If you wanna play do a jet kit and pod air filter. It'll run a little better and quicker according to the 250 forums. Will not run lean af anymore so might loose a mpg or two but gas is cHeap now. (Which is one reason I'll be getting rid of my 250 soon)

I looked into that already. When it comes down to it, its just a little 250. The time and money to get a tad bit more power isn't worth it in my opinion. My main goal is to keep it running reliable. I hear ya though.

What everyone said makes sense. I'll hold off on tearing into it when the bike is running fine. For fun I think I am going to keep an eye out for a cheap (under $50) used carb assembly on eBay. I figure if I could get it for cheap I could practice cleaning the used one I bought and if I felt necessary I could swap the one thats on it now down the road. No biggie if I screw up the used one. It is of interest to me because I simply do not know the history of the bike. Not sure if someone has every cleaned them before or how the bike runs with a clean and tuned carb. Luckily its a ten minute job to swap the carb assembly :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info