Has anyone built a 409 S.S. exhaust system? VS. 304

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
I'm shopping for stainless to make an exhaust for the Town Car.
It will go to mufflers with turndowns before the axle.

I know this will be appx. what I need:
(4) 45 degree mandrel bends
About 8-10 feet of straight tubing
2 mufflers
2 Turndowns
4 Appropriate stainless band clamps

The cost of 304 from Jegs for all this is $490. I know mufflers only come in 304 so that's a fixed cost.

I really don't care what the exhaust looks like day to day. It will never see road salt. I can deal with some corrosion or rust, like my factory Marauder systems look like (they are still rock solid 11 years later.

I guess I'm after an cons to 409 besides what I've listed. I just want to save $$$$ as much as possible.
Also, any suppliers you have used would be great.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Came in here for a different 409

the-chevy-409-v-8-up-for-grabs-at-the-carlisle-gm-nationals_100390018_m.jpg

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
No experience between the two but I would say check Columbia river mandrel bending, there bends are probably half the cost of the ones from jegs, just checked a 3" 409 stainless 45 and it was 20 bucks, I used them the last time I built a turbo kit

I second this. I have used them for raw materials many times while building turbo systems and exhausts. It has been a while since I built any systems, so I cannot speak to their quality as of late, but they were always pretty good from my previous experiences.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info