WARNING powder x in Addison

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
If it's a metallic type powder coat I think there is a clear coat sprayed on after the baking process . Otherwise the painter might have used too light of the coating of powder when sprayed on before baking . I would not use brake cleaner to clean powder coat . In my experience it will dull the surface .

Sorry to hear about this problem .

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah brake clean and carb cleaner fucks up powder coat, and if it's a dark color it gets spider webbed scratches with just a dry towel

This. I would never have wheels gloss black powder coated again. I had my 09 Shelby wheels re-done once and the corvette ones done too. It was a nightmare with scratches from just wiping with a new microfiber. Paint with clear was way better at resisting scratches on my wheels. Never again.

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
Well no more powdercoating for me

Aggressive I have to get these engine parts clean more important then looks I guess

I have to use aggressive cleaners as most of my work involves interior of motors and not external

No more powdercoating for me

Not happy but it's my own fault

Moderator please remove

I have had powdercoater blowers in here before and they never did this

From now on it's paint or nothing

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
d406bcd47d3ae4ce9fd4e336bb595401.jpg

Hard not to use brake cleaner when doing this work

e1b44ef9657c75e1a5294aeaa178ae27.jpg

dca2f875709e1b4052f00f03a480d7a1.jpg

03e91938d24fa446e128ee0fb1110889.jpg

I have to use brake cleaner

Every nook and cranny needs to be free of aluminum and oil

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
Why wouldn't you be doing finishing work like cosmetics, after you've done your porting? I've never painted one of my Blocks, then dropped it off at the machine shop. Just saying bro.

(Gorgeous work btw!)

It was the sequence of events that brought this on

I had a display kit for showing off the powder coating

Someone got interested asked to buy it for $2000. I didn't shrug a shoulder and I said the blower needs rebuilt because it was powdercoated. Ok so I started today to rebuild it oil and grease went every where as usual. Brake cleaner for a quick clean up and continue and bam that happened. I port mainly but I was trying to make some money on looks and do the whole package .

So when I have a good opportunity to make descent hard earned money this shit happens.

b559da4ee1ea96941bd0f0b8656b18ba.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Find a less aggressive cleaner. I use Simple Green on most of the things I clean. It works well for dirt and debris with out damaging most surfaces. They also have an industrial line of cleaners that are "gentile". Work checking them out.

For porting work try soapy water, brushes and compressed air. It should would work very well for that kind of stuff.

And if you switch to paint be careful as brake cleaner can mess up paint as well.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
It's my own damn fault and I will be making frank a call personally

Shitty luck there man.

Find a less aggressive cleaner. I use Simple Green on most of the things I clean. It works well for dirt and debris with out damaging most surfaces. They also have an industrial line of cleaners that are "gentile". Work checking them out.

For porting work try soapy water, brushes and compressed air. It should would work very well for that kind of stuff.

Don't use Simple Green. Unless heavily, and I mean HEAVILY diluted, it loves to chew up finishes.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL

And if you switch to paint be careful as brake cleaner can mess up paint as well.

I agree! Brake cleaner has to be much more expensive than other less aggressive cleaners that can be bought in bulk, too. Sure, for most people just buying two cans of brake cleaner for their home porting job is fine, but for a business it would make sense to find a good way to cut costs since there is a higher volume. Other cleaners will be less noxious too! Hell, some are even reusable after a quick filtration to remove the large particles.

However, with that said, the porting should always be done before the powdercoating, then final assembly for all of the new pressed in bearings last. I usually find that when I try to take short cuts to save time or money, they rarely accomplish any of the initial two goals.

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum

Try cleaning a supercharger that has 100,000 miles and has been pullied for 40,000 and has scene temps of 200 plus inside the blower.
.I have soaked the blowers in simple green(straight) in boiling water.Doesn't touch it. Won't remove the oil and all that stuff that has been basically baked on.

It's either chemicals or a sonic cleaner and I think it's time for me to buy a sonic cleaner. Sonic cleaner strips coating right off as well.

Brake can mess up paint but paint doesn't fry a bearing and I can easily repaint it. I was driving a hour and 30 min for powderx.

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
I agree! Brake cleaner has to be much more expensive than other less aggressive cleaners that can be bought in bulk, too. Sure, for most people just buying two cans of brake cleaner for their home porting job is fine, but for a business it would make sense to find a good way to cut costs since there is a higher volume. Other cleaners will be less noxious too! Hell, some are even reusable after a quick filtration to remove the large particles.

However, with that said, the porting should always be done before the powdercoating, then final assembly for all of the new pressed in bearings last. I usually find that when I try to take short cuts to save time or money, they rarely accomplish any of the initial two goals.

I agree with your statement but why do you imply I was saving money and taking short cuts?

Do you know the hours I put in on this stuff? That an insult to my time in efforts with those two implications.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Well sounds like if you want to leave the finish as it is sent to you there is gonna be A LOT of prep on your end. You will have to tape and mask off painted/coated surfaces so they don't get the cleaning product on the coated surfaces. Just the surfaces you are working on.

A sonic cleaner is great. A steam parts cleaner may be a better option for you. But even then I would research if it would be too aggressive for coated surfaces as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info