Where do you put your extra weight for the winter months?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
My dad and I were arguing where is the best spot to put the weight in the rear during the winter months; right over (or as close to) the axle, or as far back away from the axle as possible. I argued as far back, because it'll more efficiently use the weight to its advantage (like a lever), whereas he said it would take too much weight off the front of the car and it's better to have to weight pushing down right at the axle. I argued there is plenty of weight already over the front (at least in my car), and it can stand to be a little lighter in the front to aid rear traction.

I know [MENTION=19]Kay Jay[/MENTION] and [MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] have weighed in, in the bored thread.

Please explain your theory on what is the best placement, and how much weight you are using?

Currently I'm running 120 lbs of tube sand as far rearward as possible.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
If you put the weight as far rearward as possible, it will help with rear traction when accelerating. However, the negative aspect is that if the car oversteers while going around a turn, it will be more difficult to recover from that slide. That weight being at the rear most of the car carries more momentum than weight that is more towards the middle of the car. And as mentioned, it could make understeer more prevalent in some situations as you are transferring weight to the rear and off of the front.

Personally, I'd opt for a more balanced car with a little bit of weight over the rear axle to help with traction.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
my clown dick does alright just with 2 good snow tires on the back of it.
however my trunk isnt empty.. full size spare, tools, jumper cables, a jump box, ratchet straps, random car parts, random cub cadet tractor parts, and more.

must amount to 100-200lbs

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info