Hellcat - 0 Tree - 1

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Hellcat Carnage: This One Left The Lot, An Hour Later It Is Totaled - Street Legal TV

Hellcat Carnage: This One Left The Lot, An Hour Later It Is Totaled

By Michael Harding
posted Yesterday in News (63) Comments
@9We saw it with the brand new C7 Corvettes, and even found a couple pictures of a media-loaner Hellcat that sustained some damage. But now we have word that the first Hellcat to be totaled has happened, sadly. We hear that the driver and passenger are okay, but the Hellcat didn’t survive this impact.

We’re trying to get more details and will update as we can, but our friend Matt Kearney found the picture on an SRT Facebook page and shared with us that this car had just left the lot an hour earlier – and then this terrible accident occurred somewhere in Colorado. The Hellcat suffered enough damage that it doesn’t look like the motor is going to be salvageable, and the car will likely end up at an auction for totaled vehicles.

This brings up a good point about buying cars like this that have a bit of a markup, gap insurance would be a very good idea. Gap insurance basically picks up the gap between the value of the car and the price it would cost to replace it. In this case, the car may have been marked up as much as $15-20k, meaning if there is no gap insurance the car owner may be out of luck.

hcwreck5
We believe this may have been the car that was at the dealership in Colorado. Photo: Anthony Borders
A reader, Anthony Borders, spotted a Hellcat at the dealership recently and believes it may be the one that wrecked. Another readers, Bradley Nagel, was kind enough to get some pictures of the Hellcat at a wrecking yard. He couldn’t get much closer it seems, but the car looks like it’s hurting pretty bad. Some are wondering what might be salvageable from this 707 horsepower beast, it looks like the engine might not have survived. The core support is pushed in pretty far, and we know that things are pretty tight up in front.

Some pictures taken at the wrecking yard of the Hellcat in question. Photos: Bradley Nagel
Yet another reader has gone to the scene to get some pictures and collect a few mementos from the site. Michael Clark shows us where the skid marks are, and it appears that on a curve the driver lost control and slammed into a tree. It doesn’t seem like another vehicle was involved, so we may have to chalk this one up to driver error.

The skid marks indicate a miscalculated curve in the road and head-on into a tree. Photos: Michael Clark
We hate seeing things like this, and we’re glad the occupants are okay, but it just might go to show that sometimes money spent is not money spent wisely. If you don’t know how to handle the car, it might be good to take it easy until you can. We drove one for a week, so we’re well aware of the kind of power this car possesses.

If you have any information, please share it with us so we can share it with the rest of our readers. Be safe this holiday season, everyone!

SECOND UPDATE:

According to a police report from the Colorado State Patrol, the car’s owner was 34-year-old Lance Utley of Winter Park, Colorado, and he was traveling on Riverdale Road when he lost control and overcorrected (as evidenced by the skid marks in the photos above, and hit the tree. There were two other occupants who were also unhurt, Utley was cited with careless driving. They didn’t mention drugs, alcohol, or excessive speeding, however, it does seem that a little showing off was going on… because Hellcat!

Ouch.
@9.jpg

More pics in the link.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Dumbass with more money than ability! Looks like trying to kick the back end out around the corner, Hellcat said NO.

Gap from my understanding covers the difference in your loan to the book value of the vehicle. For example, you buy a used car for $12k and add on a $5k extended warranty. The car's only worth $12k, but your loan is for $17k and change. Gap will cover between the $12k-$17k

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Yep, I saw that yesterday. I’m not going to make fun of the guy, shit happens. Very high performance vehicles especially on cold pavement need special attention & obviously require some skill.
He got a little too excited kinda like Roger Rodas.

Glad no one got hurt.

RIP Hellcat.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Lots of people are getting cars that are to fast for them. Ctsv, hellcats,gt500, z06. All these types of cars have more power than your average person would really want or ever use. They buy them because they can.
We car guys buy them because of the performance. We know it's gonna get shitty with 600-700 hp on tap. I've never lost control of my cobra but I know with close to 700 at the tires if can get shitty very fast. Must respect the power.

With great power comes great responsibility. lol

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Yep, pucker moment galore.
I’ve rolled in a ditch, was a real fast 15 sec 4 cylinder turbo……hahahahah back in 1992…
I’ve also lost a 5.Slow fish tailing making a right hand turn which would had been heading east. Fortunately there was no one in the west bound lane & Johnny Cocksucker did not see that I slammed the rear tires into the west bound curb. I was able to pull away w/o issue back in 1997…

More recently, a few weeks ago in fact, I was heading home from Door County. There was a light snow coming down. I normally roll real slow in the sleet as the Nitto’s on the SS are on the softer side. I could not take this ding dong in front of me any longer thus I gently goosed her, passed him @ about 75 & the truck floated a bit, got a lil sideways & I straightened her out. It was so slight my wife did not notice but I did…PUCKER Moment…. Hahahahha

I’m not even going to type about the DING DONG Motorcycle madness I’ve gotten myself into.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yep, pucker moment galore.
I’ve rolled in a ditch, was a real fast 15 sec 4 cylinder turbo……hahahahah back in 1992…
I’ve also lost a 5.Slow fish tailing making a right hand turn which would had been heading east. Fortunately there was no one in the west bound lane & Johnny Cocksucker did not see that I slammed the rear tires into the west bound curb. I was able to pull away w/o issue back in 1997…

More recently, a few weeks ago in fact, I was heading home from Door County. There was a light snow coming down. I normally roll real slow in the sleet as the Nitto’s on the SS are on the softer side. I could not take this ding dong in front of me any longer thus I gently goosed her, passed him @ about 75 & the truck floated a bit, got a lil sideways & I straightened her out. It was so slight my wife did not notice but I did…PUCKER Moment…. Hahahahha

I’m not even going to type about the DING DONG Motorcycle madness I’ve gotten myself into.

sounds like [MENTION=1938]jason05gt[/MENTION] needs to give you responsible driving lessons you child.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
When I got my first Mustang I spun about 180 degrees coming out of an on ramp toll booth during the winter. Basically shit my pants. Thankfully there was only light traffic, I was able to get turned back into the right direction fairly easily. The embarrassment was huge lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info