The C7 vettes have built in video recording?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Impressive

Performance Data Recorder

Performance Data Recorder includes:[45]

• A 720p high-definition camera mounted within the windshield header trim, which records the driver's point-of-view through the windshield, with audio recorded via a dedicated microphone in the cabin.
  • A self-contained telemetry recorder. The system uses a dedicated GPS receiver that operates at 5 Hz, five times faster than the in-dash navigation system, for more precise positioning and corner traces. The recorder is also hard-wired into the Stingray's Controller Area Network (CAN) to access vehicle information, ranging from engine speed and transmission-gear selection to braking force and steering-wheel angle.
  • A dedicated SD-card slot in the glove box for recording and transferring video and vehicle data.

The PDR system can record video with three data overlay options, each rendered in real time:

• Track Mode – shows the maximum level of data on the screen, including speed, rpm, g-force, a location-based map, lap time, and more.
  • Sport Mode – shows fewer details on the overlay, but includes key data including speed and g-force.
  • Touring Mode – no data overlay; it simply records and displays video and audio of the drive.
  • Performance Mode – records performance metrics, such as 0 to 60 mph acceleration, 1/4-mile speed and elapsed time, and 0-100-0 mph runs. The video can be viewed on the Corvette Stingray's eight-inch color touchscreen (when the car is parked), or downloaded to a computer for further editing, and sharing video via social media sites.

The PDR vehicle data can be opened in the included "Cosworth Toolbox" software, which combines Cosworth's professional-level motorsport data analysis with an easy-to-use graphic interface. The Cosworth Toolbox application overlays recorded laps on a Bing-enabled satellite map of the track, and features an easy-to-use interface to compare selected laps in detail, for any requested point on the drive. Comparisons include corner traces, vehicle speed, and cornering force to help drivers improve their driving consistency, and ultimately lap times.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Also there has been litigation if I remember correct over the car's ability to record audio/video while its locked into valet mode. Calling it an invasion of privacy to the people driving the car when its in valet mode. People have caught dealer assholes talking shit and beating on these cars with it, and its resulted in law suits. I think chevy put a hold on the sales of these cars with it installed, until they could disable the audio portion of the PDR while its in valet mode. As in it will still record video, which points outside the car, but will not record in-car audio like before.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Lions of Liberty

The 2015 Corvette Stingray could land you in big trouble with the law, but not in the way you would expect. When people think of Corvettes and breaking the law, they typical assume speed is responsible. But there is another aspect of the Corvette Stingray that could land you in much more trouble than a speeding ticket and the high-end car doesn’t even have to be moving to land you in jail for a long time.

The Stingray is equipped with a feature called Valet Mode. Valet Mode is a common feature for many high-end cars. When turned on it allows the owner to limit the functionality of certain features and even limit the horsepower. The Stingray’s Valet Mode has a perk that other luxury cars do not, a Performance Data Recorder (PDR). The PDR is an in dash camera that allows owners to record audio and video that the owner can then watch on the car’s screen or download to a computer. The PDR also is password protected to prevent tech savvy valets from turning it off when they enter the vehicle.

Now for the part that can land you in the slammer. It is illegal in thirteen states to record someone without their consent. GM somehow overlooked this inconvenient truth when rolling out the vehicle, but has quickly attempted to put out the fire before one of their customers gets in trouble and pulls GM into the mix.

The following letter was sent to Chevy dealers. GM is advising Corvette owners to not use Valet Mode, because of potential legal issues surrounding the PDRs ability to record audio and video.

From jalopnik.com:

This notice is being sent to you regarding 2015 model year Corvettes equipped with the Performance Data Recorder (UQT).

The Performance Data Recorder (UQT) in these vehicles, when used in Valet Mode, allows a customer to record the driving of their Corvette when the vehicle is not in their control. In Valet Mode, the PDR will also record activity and conversations that take place in the vehicle.

To help our customers use the Performance Data Recorder (UQT) consistent with legal requirements that pertain to audio recording devices, we will be requiring a very important update to the system of each affected vehicle in the near future. We expect that the update will be available early next month. At that time, we will provide details about the update and let you know what steps you need to take, if any, to complete the update for vehicles in your inventory.

In the meantime, you must advise any customers who take delivery of an impacted vehicle that they should refrain from using the Valet Mode until the update takes place. If they do use the Valet Mode, they should (i) notify any occupants of the vehicle that they will be recorded while in the vehicle, and (ii) obtain their consent to this recording. It is very important that you explain this to each customer at the time of delivery.

For all of the super-rich, luxury car driving readers out there please heed the advice of General Motors and do not use Valet Mode in your shiny new Corvette.

It is interesting that the governments in thirteen states see no irony with laws existing on the books that “protect” individuals from being recorded without their consent, but these same governments operate in defiance to this principle by enforcing many man-made laws to which people do not consent. Individuals are quick to object when other individuals or businesses trespass on their property or invade their privacy without their consent, but neglect to hold government to the same standard.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
PDR: "Valet" Privacy Invasion?

Attention: General Manager, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Parts and Service Director, Parts Manager, New Vehicle Sales Manager, and Warranty Administrator!

This notice is being sent to you regarding 2015 model year Corvettes equipped with the Performance Data Recorder (UQT).

The Performance Data Recorder (UQT) in these vehicles, when used in Valet Mode, allows a customer to record the driving of their Corvette when the vehicle is not in their control. In Valet Mode, the PDR will also record activity and conversations that take place in the vehicle.

To help our customers use the Performance Data Recorder (UQT) consistent with legal requirements that pertain to audio recording devices, we will be requiring a very important update to the system of each affected vehicle in the near future. We expect that the update will be available early next month. At that time, we will provide details about the update and let you know what steps you need to take, if any, to complete the update for vehicles in your inventory.

In the meantime, you must advise any customers who take delivery of an impacted vehicle that they should refrain from using the Valet Mode until the update takes place. If they do use the Valet Mode, they should (i) notify any occupants of the vehicle that they will be recorded while in the vehicle, and (ii) obtain their consent to this recording. It is very important that you explain this to each customer at the time of delivery.

Attached is a copy of a written communication for you to provide to customers to accomplish this notice. We are sending the same communication to customers who have already taken delivery of a Corvette vehicle equipped with PDR.

We greatly appreciate your cooperation in conveying this important information to your customers.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Personally, I don't think you have any right to privacy when driving someone else's car. If they enable valet mode, then that means they don't want you to screw around with it. So everything you say and do inside that car is on your head.

Since we have to "inform" people, I'd put a note on the dash stating it was recording audio and video. And hey, if you get in the car, then you are consenting to be recorded. If you don't consent, don't get in the car.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Personally, I don't think you have any right to privacy when driving someone else's car. If they enable valet mode, then that means they don't want you to screw around with it. So everything you say and do inside that car is on your head.

Since we have to "inform" people, I'd put a note on the dash stating it was recording audio and video. And hey, if you get in the car, then you are consenting to be recorded. If you don't consent, don't get in the car.

Totall agree. One story I read, some asshat mechanic at a dealer was talking all kinds of shit about the owner because the car was in valet mode and he couldnt use the radio while working on the car. The mechanic admitted that he would not fix the car, and he would update the ticket that nothing was found. All the while calling the corvette owner all kinds of names. It was all over the corvette forum. Entertaining thread.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Tech unhappy about my car on Valet mode -"R" rated - Corvette Forum

Brought my 15 for a warranty item to dealership. Put car in n valet mode. Apparently the tech was not happy that he could not work the radio and the following is the transcript from the audio portion of the PDR. The tech has a conversation with another tech while moving car to bay.

"What a f%#ing di#%head"
"What an a$@hole"
"Valet mode, enter code"
"What a pri$k"
"I ain't fixing it"
"He'll be back 50 f%#king times"
"If I can't listen to it, then f$&k you"
"Good luck getting it fixed"
"You can have this ..."
As the car is being guided into bay
"It's crooked as hell"
"It's all under warranty" "bam"!
Nothing on video appeared out of the ordinary
He then tells the tech:
"This d&?khead has the valet mode on the radio"
Other techs response:
"What's valet mode?"
"Where I can't listen to the radio"
"That's some bulls&&it"
"This fu@king pri&eke car not going to be right"
"This is bs" "is there a way to repair it"
"I can program it to make it go away"
"Then I can change it myself where he can't get into it, and say I don't know, maybe you don't know your code"
"Laughter"
All this in less than two minutes.
Unbelievable but true
Will follow up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info