Dealership techs/advisors: Need input

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I can't speak for an engine, but when my cobalt had the trans replaced (wouldn't go into second)..they had it for two days called me and told me they ordered a trans. Had that replaced (not factory warranty though it was an extended I bought with the car that actually paid off)...and then THAT was bad, brought it back and they replaced it again.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
In most cases, I would guess that an engine replacement under warranty would be quite uncommon. I expect that among leadfoot gearheads like us, engine replacements on new cars might be more common. Like [MENTION=750]RICH17[/MENTION] mentioned however, Hyundai seemed pretty quick to replace the motor on my girl's 2011 Elantra. I presented it with what sounded like an exhaust leak, they looked it over and said they were going to replace the engine. Afterwards, the tech gave me some explanation that made absolutely no sense about "direct injection engines creating more carbon deposits on the pistons which create hot spots which leads to premature detonation and engine damage." That goes against everything I know about direct injection and carbon deposits on the pistons.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
we don't do many engines here, as we can rebuild whatever and they last just fine.

But when we do, a lot of diagnosis time is required to full documentation/oil change receipts.. etc. most of these have been on older non-fast cars. if it was a CTS-V or something we would have to send in calibrations to make sure it was not tuned.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info