Crash test 2009 versus 1959

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Remember, these cars weigh more and more and the speeds of these roads seem to be getting higher. They hang down and have no support to help them. A car hits them and they fold up/forward. They need a structure that would support an impact and absorb energy. A cost the industry doesn't want to spend I am sure.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
All steel bel air i figured itd tear through the malibu

Ihu michael

If you ever put together a car from the 50's, 60's or 70's you would understand. They had very little structure and were weak. Most of those cars weighed a lot because of the steel frame the suspension and body were bolted to. The sheet metal was not going to absorb any impact, nor was the frame. New cars are much stronger due to their design, have safety zones where the passengers sit and many areas around it designed to absorb energy from another car, truck, tree and so on. New cars are leaps and bounds better than even cars made just 10-15 years ago. The designers and engineers coming up with new cars do a lot that the average joe knows nothing about and takes for granted. But we all should be thankful for their work.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
If you ever put together a car from the 50's, 60's or 70's you would understand. They had very little structure and were weak. Most of those cars weighed a lot because of the steel frame the suspension and body were bolted to. The sheet metal was not going to absorb any impact, nor was the frame. New cars are much stronger due to their design, have safety zones where the passengers sit and many areas around it designed to absorb energy from another car, truck, tree and so on. New cars are leaps and bounds better than even cars made just 10-15 years ago. The designers and engineers coming up with new cars do a lot that the average joe knows nothing about and takes for granted. But we all should be thankful for their work.

All of this. People like to think of big old cars as "tanks" but it simply isn't true. They are big tin cans.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Remember, these cars weigh more and more and the speeds of these roads seem to be getting higher. They hang down and have no support to help them. A car hits them and they fold up/forward. They need a structure that would support an impact and absorb energy. A cost the industry doesn't want to spend I am sure.

I do think its needed though. I'd be fine with them basically making it so strong as to never bend. Let the car's frame absorb the crash energy. At least then you wouldn't look like a sardine can.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info