NBS GM 3/4 Ton trucks are getting temptingly cheap...

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Tl;Dr 2008+ trucks are getting cheap, there are some links below.

For the past few weeks I've been looking around for a 3/4 ton truck. My 1/2 ton Sierra is great and has never let me down except for the original fuel pump going out at 195,000 miles (Not even mad, it had a good run :rofl: )

However, I'm getting sick of towing long distance (500+ miles one-way) with it as it spends half the time out of overdrive with a light trailer. It simply doesn't have the torque to efficiently tow over long distances even with 4.10 gears. Towing an open trailer with two ATV's I get 10mpg... Not saying that's bad, but, I could get that in a 3/4 ton truck that wouldn't even know there was a trailer back there. It also sways around and on the whole isn't a great experience. I don't expect anything less, but, I feel like it'll be time for an upgrade in the spring. I started out looking at the 99-07 classic bodystyle trucks with either the 6.0 or 8.1. I won't buy a diesel. Long story short, people are asking upwards of $10,000 for them so I bumped my search years up.

I don't need anything extravagant, it's going to get used and abused like my current truck. A CD Player, power windows, door locks and 4x4 are really the only things I care about. I'm finding TONS of 2008-2011's UNDER 15k. I'm not even going to waste my time on the OBS trucks.

They are work trucks, but, like I said... Not concerned about options. Window tint and a set of wheels/tires and it will look just like a $30,000 truck.

This is the one that entices me the most... There's an easy $4,000 in bumpers, boxes, racks and tires on it. For $12,995 It's hard not to fly and get it now.

1471637074.jpg

1471637075.jpg

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Work Truck, $12,995 - Cars.com

My best bet is that it's an old oil field service truck, but, fuck I want it.

Here are a few others.

2008 GMC Sierra 2500 H/D, $14,900 - Cars.com

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Work Truck, $14,524 - Cars.com

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 , $12,995 - Cars.com

And, they're plentiful in Texas, which means they're clean. I'll take dings and scratches from use over a rotted truck any day.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
If you can check hours on them I would do that, if it's a straight up Texas truck that's one thing but our company buys trucks and plates them in Texas then brings them to Illinois and never changes the plates or registration, and we leave them run when it's cold out probably 20+ hours a day in the winter not all of the trucks, but all the operations trucks do

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If you can check hours on them I would do that, if it's a straight up Texas truck that's one thing but our company buys trucks and plates them in Texas then brings them to Illinois and never changes the plates or registration, and we leave them run when it's cold out probably 20+ hours a day in the winter not all of the trucks, but all the operations trucks do

Only thing I'd have to verify where the truck spent its time would be any maintenance records. These trucks are for sale in Texas as well, and, it's pretty easy to spot one that's spent its time in a shit climate vs. down south.

The new trucks have hourmeters as well, so I would be checking that.

I'm going to Texas in the spring for a party. My scheme is to have my truck sold by then and be driving something like this home with me.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Would rock a bare bones work truck for sure.

As would I. I really only give a shit about power windows and locks, and, that's just out of convenience.

Aside from a center console, climate control and a Bose stereo, my "loaded" Sierra has all the same options as the one I posted pics of. I can put a badass stereo in whatever I buy and I prefer the front bench, so, like I said... Window tint and some nice aftermarket wheels away from it not being so "work truck" ish.

Plus, if I REALLY needed to upgrade, I can find leather seats pretty easily for these.

I just really don't see a downside in it whatsoever.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info