New Z06 tested by Carlos Lago - MT

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Car and driver reported a 0-60 of 3 seconds flat with the auto and 11.1 1/4 mile. GM is absolutely killing it right now.

The Vette always put up good numbers but was always described as a "handful" to drive. This new vette sounds like its a lot more fun to drive on the edge.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Car and driver reported a 0-60 of 3 seconds flat with the auto and 11.1 1/4 mile. GM is absolutely killing it right now.

The Vette always put up good numbers but was always described as a "handful" to drive. This new vette sounds like its a lot more fun to drive on the edge.

That's a 0.3 improvement, with an auto, over a 10 year period. Hardly killing it IMO.

Great White Drake

Jun 23, 2010
That's a 0.3 improvement, with an auto, over a 10 year period. Hardly killing it IMO.

The vette is much more than a one trick pony.

I'm speaking in overall terms. A much better car to drive on the edge, better interior, better fit/finish. What are you referring to with the .3 anyway? This is a heavier car too.

I should add, I did say GM is killing it I meant as a whole company. Look at GM cars from 10-15 years ago and they don't even compare. Now look at a early 2000's GM compare to the early 90's, the gap in quality is a lot closer in that decade compared to this last one.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The vette is much more than a one trick pony.

I'm speaking in overall terms. A much better car to drive on the edge, better interior, better fit/finish. What are you referring to with the .3 anyway? This is a heavier car too.

I should add, I did say GM is killing it I meant as a whole company. Look at GM cars from 10-15 years ago and they don't even compare. Now look at a early 2000's GM compare to the early 90's, the gap in quality is a lot closer in that decade compared to this last one.

Yes, I agree, but you seem to be forgetting how great a car the C6Z06 was/is. My point is that yes, the c7Z is putting up great numbers, but it's not anything special when compared to its predecessor. The .3 is referring to the fact that an auto c7z is only 3 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile than the outgoing manual model. If the C6Z came in an auto, they may even be dead even.

And to your second point....Really? The jump from GM cars in the early 90s to early 2000s was much larger than this current jump. We are talking about comparing TPI corvettes to a C5Z06. A jump in performance doesn't get any better than that.

Great White Drake

Jun 23, 2010
Yes, I agree, but you seem to be forgetting how great a car the C6Z06 was/is. My point is that yes, the c7Z is putting up great numbers, but it's not anything special when compared to its predecessor. The .3 is referring to the fact that an auto c7z is only 3 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile than the outgoing manual model. If the C6Z came in an auto, they may even be dead even.

And to your second point....Really? The jump from GM cars in the early 90s to early 2000s was much larger than this current jump. We are talking about comparing TPI corvettes to a C5Z06. A jump in performance doesn't get any better than that.

The c6z was a great car. But I'm making a macro observation. You keep trying to make this a micro one. GM's lineup as a whole, is killing it compared to 10 years ago.

I'm not talking about 1 car in 1 specific test. Agsin, the vette is worthy of much more than being compared as a 1 trick pony. Wanna talk about braking/handling fit/finish? Of course not, as that's where the biggest differences are in the vette from today compared to a decade ago.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 first drive | Autoweek

The car’s limits are so high, we need a solid amount of time just to come to terms mentally with its aero-enhanced grip levels. Take your Z06 to the track and prepare for the intimidation factor as you work up to speed, especially on a circuit as fast and blind as Road Atlanta. But the 50/50 weight-distributed chassis is exceptionally stable, meaning in most cases the driver is the biggest performance limiter. Regardless of what aero package you have, the car’s overall handling and tire breakaway characteristics are similar; only the total amount of grip changes significantly. The Z06 delivers a very neutral balance straight out of the box without sliding into frustrating moments of plowing understeer, yet neither does it snap into breath-sucking moments of rear-end mayhem.

Despite the high heat and being driven hard already for many laps, and riding on tires with a fair amount of running on them, the lap timer flashes 1 minute, 29.8 seconds as Pilgrim crosses the line. Info pulled from the onboard -- and must-have for track drivers -- Cosworth-developed Performance Data Recorder’s telemetry shows a 1.5 lateral-g spike. Consider: a Camaro Z/28.R’s pole-position time at Road Atlanta for October’s IMSA Continental Tire Challenge Series race was 1:31.6 -- and the Z06’s lap time puts it within three seconds of the slowest qualifier, an Audi R8 LMS, in this year’s Petit Le Mans’ GT Daytona class at the same circuit.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

I dunno. Three tenths of a second on essentially the street is pretty impressive when the car is already extremely quick, and especially with rear-wheel drive. Curious to see what it's going to do on a sticky dragstrip.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I dunno. Three tenths of a second on essentially the street is pretty impressive when the car is already extremely quick, and especially with rear-wheel drive. Curious to see what it's going to do on a sticky dragstrip.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. The C5Z was a great car, and the C6Z pretty much knocked a full second off that 1/4 mile time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info