Best way to get an M license?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I want to get my motorcycle license this spring and Im wondering the best way to go about it. Or rather, the best way to learn. Starting to put aside some money for decent gear and a POS first bike.

I have zero experience riding a motorcycle or even dirt bike.

take a class somewhere, which one?
buy a crap bike and learn from a friend, then take the class?

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
i took this class
Motorcycle Safety Project - Northern Illinois University

easy as shit. $20, 2 days, DONE.
Agreed. Uofc also does it down in Urbana and at some dmv. I did mines at the Elston dmv about 5 years ago. It's $20 "donation " it's only to reserve a seat. They offer to give it back at end of class but they say it's to cover Gas and maintenance, most tell them to keep it.

They teach u a lot and u learn from good experience riders. They teach u what to look for and how to react to things.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Go to the dmv and ask for the motorcycle booklet to study for the written test . Every question on the test is usually pulled from that booklet .

Also there should be a picture of the driving course on the back of the booklet .

The schaumburg facility does the ride test behind the building . It's all marked on the pavement . I'm guessing each facility that does riding tests has this , so on a Sunday you can go and practice riding around the course before actually taking the test .

Just make sure you have a permit and with a friend when you do this cause if a cop rolls up you'll be all good . The schaumburg facility test course is tucked behind the building . Not many people would see you .

Also if you know anyone with a dirt bike or a pocket bike you can learn to ride on that . A crf 50 is good because it's 3 speed clutch but no clutch lever . Very easy to ride .

When I was 17 I did the training class at the college of dupage . It's was $20 and they let you ride honda 125 cruiser bikes . You gotta have boots a helmet . And a leather jacket I think . If you pass that they give you a permit and all i think you have to do next is take the riding test at the dmv . This is from me trying to remember . I did the training 1989 just to get the permit . Lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info