Educate me on trucks. please

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
My brother in law, is looking to buy a truck. He has his sights set on a 2012 Tacoma 4x4 4door (either access cab or double cab). The problem is that he only wants to spend around $22K and the Tacoma's run $27K+

He's not a car or truck guy. He's a typical immigrant construction worker, I've helped him and my sister locate and buy their previous cars.

Anyhow, I know nothing about trucks. Is the Tacoma a good truck? are there comparable/better trucks that cost less?

The reasons he likes the Tacoma: styling, Toyota reliability and it's not too big

Thanks in advance

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
assuming he's looking for a 6 cylinder ?
i haven't had any real complaints with my Nissan Frontier ( other than the paint sucks )

My Dad had a new 2011 that he traded in with about 20k miles, V6 4wd and the dealer put it on the lot for 21,975 and the last time we saw an updated price, they dropped it to 19,975

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
If he does construction I would think it would be beneficial to get a fullsize truck that he can fit a sheet of plywood or drywall in the bed. For me, I would only buy a used Chevy truck for something like that merely because I am familiar with their drivetrains and know issues. If I were to by a new truck with a warranty it would probably be a new ecoboost F150.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
If he does construction I would think it would be beneficial to get a fullsize truck that he can fit a sheet of plywood or drywall in the bed. For me, I would only buy a used Chevy truck for something like that merely because I am familiar with their drivetrains and know issues. If I were to by a new truck with a warranty it would probably be a new ecoboost F150.

A decently optioned 4x4 ecoboost approaches $40k.. he's looking to spend around $22k

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, based on how well they hold their value.. I think I'm going to suggest he buy a new one or a 2014 left over (if there are any), and finance the difference between new purchase price and his $22k cash

:fy:

Tell him to get the 4.0L

The 2.7 4cyl requires synthetic but also needs 5k mile oil changes where as the 4.0L is also synthetic but does 10k mi oil changes. Plus, no one wants a gutless 4cyl.

Also, the SR5/Prerunner packages are worth it for the equipment but your TSS and TRD appearance packages are just that....stickers and wheels.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
:fy:

Tell him to get the 4.0L

The 2.7 4cyl requires synthetic but also needs 5k mile oil changes where as the 4.0L is also synthetic but does 10k mi oil changes. Plus, no one wants a gutless 4cyl.

Also, the SR5/Prerunner packages are worth it for the equipment but your TSS and TRD appearance packages are just that....stickers and wheels.

Agreed on the gutless 4 banger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info