e85 Issues?

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Has anyone seen light surface rust on their engine internals after running e85? I don't drive the car that often and discovered some of this in my cylinder walls when I pulled the heads and on the turbo impeller. It was minor, came right off, and the engine sat for a little bit before the tear down. I'm now in the process of switching back to 93 octane and adding alcohol injection so I can still crank up the boost.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I've been reading up on this and have found ethanol is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture quickly. There is nothing else I can think of that caused this and I'm looking for opinions. I've already decided to switch over to alcohol injection because it is proven and I leave the car sit for weeks at a time on occasion. I did have a tiny head gasket leak but that still doesn't explain the turbo having the same "rust" color.

Attachments

• engine rust.jpg
    engine rust.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 89

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Well the turbo doesn't have E85 running through it so it's probably from the car sitting.

BTW, if the alcohol injection fails, that light surface rust will be the last of your worries. E85 is more reliable than a secondary injection system.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Okay, but if the car sits for a while I'm sure there are downsides e85 as well. I know e85 is more reliable and plan to change the alcohol pump every few years just to be safe. I love filling up for cheap and cranking up the boost but seeing that surface rust really is making me think twice about e85.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Why?
I have no troubles when used with Stabil for E85

Pretty much anyone I've talked to strongly suggests not letting e85 sit for long periods. This is my first season running it so I dont have experience w/ storage, let alone using stabil. But Id rather just drain the tank and let 93 sit in there.

I swapped back to 93 for the winter but how much time are you talking when you say extended periods of time?

:dunno: See my other comment.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Pretty much anyone I've talked to strongly suggests not letting e85 sit for long periods. This is my first season running it so I dont have experience w/ storage, let alone using stabil. But Id rather just drain the tank and let 93 sit in there.

Precisely, no one has any evidence it causes problems.

I remember that guy on SVTP filling a jar with various small parts found on a car or fuel system.
He filled the jar with E85 and reported back a year later.

Absolutely nothing happened.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Your fuel tank is sealed. Dump some additive in it and you'll be fine. If you're really worried. Get some engine fogger and spray it in the cylinders when you park it.

I'm a big fan of starting a long sitting car/truck once a week and letting hit operating temps. It helps with a lot of things. Keeping the oil system primed, lubing the surfaces that dried up and helps burn off any moisture collected in the pan. And also charges the battery.

BTW e85 didn't do that to your motor. It sitting around unprotected by oil did.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007

:dunno: See my other comment.

I fill the car with a full tank of gas. I start the car once a week and let it get up to temp idle it for a bit and shut it off. After a few times I get some E and fill it back up.

This is year 4 for me.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I store my car all winter long with E85. In the spring she fires right up and I burn off most of the old stuff and put fresh in before I have to much fun with the go pedal.

I do store the car in a garage that does not get below freezing. Not sure if that matters but have never had any issues keeping E85 in the car for months. No stabil either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info