VW Beetle 1.8L GDI water pump failure?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
My sister, who lives in WA called last night to say her car was over heating. She has no mechanically inclined friends, and its not like I can do the job for her.

However, she has no heat, but the engine is boiling the coolant. To me this seems to be that its not pumping the coolant around the engine, so the coolant is sitting stagnant in the heater core, and boiling in the block.

Other option could be the thermostat failing in a closed position. But if the pump was till moving coolant, then she should at least have heat from the vents.

Thoughts?

2000 1.8L Turbo beetle.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
If the waterpump hasn't been changed yet, that's the most likely culprit. Unfortunately VW's come from the factory with a plastic impeller on the water pump (even still, from what I understand) and it's not a matter of IF but WHEN it will fail. I changed mine preemptively at 60k miles at the same time that the T-Belt was done (and thermostat) with an updated metal-impeller pump.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Thirdgen89GTA
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list