Good problems to have, a choice I have #vwproblemsGTIvsTDI

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
So long story short at the dealer getting my 20k service on my 13 jetta TDI...

Start talking with a sales guy about buying out my car from lease and getting an extended warranty etc. Because IL has double taxing on the purchase and an extended warranty it really hurts here. Dealer wants TDI cars badly and they would buy me out of my car currently and obviously get into something newer. Starting Jan 1 IL is changing their taxes for lease and basically I could get into the new car tax free starting then with the tax credit on the trade. I've wanted a new GTI for some time now and I was planning on doing upgrades to the tdi visually that are already done to the gti from the factory. If I can get into a new 15 GTI S with lighting package for only $50 more a month than the TDI currently, I'm stuck. Because its such a small diff it really has me struggling on what to do. Luckily I have time and don't have to switch or buy or anything for awhile if I so choose.

TDI pro-
excellent resale value and longevity
Insane fuel economy, likely 10mpg more each tank average vs the gti, but will it pay for itself with that math over how many miles?
Larger sedan that has plenty of room both rear and trunk.
Fender upgraded audio and sunroof, I'd surely miss both.
Overall great highway cruiser, planted on the road, though not fun lol

Pro- not fun to drive, invest $$$ to get it how i want it to look and drive

Gti- pro
looks great in stock form, just add tint
Obviously fun to drive, though a little less comfort and sporty ride.
gas milage still very good for a gas car, over 30 and requires premium
still can fit 4 people but right now its just me and the wife and our stuff if going on a trip

Con- i will want to mod it $$$$
No sunroof or upgraded stereo, option packages are dumb, i want heated cloth from base model but middle package with fender/sunroof is 3k for all kinds of stuff i dont want/need and its leather only
too small eventually?
Resale is not too great

Torn between the two, I have to drive a lot for work and my car is my office, spend 20-30 hours in it sometimes... /rant

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I'd stick with the TDI. As fun as the GTI was mods are pretty expensive for little gain. VW software detects tunes and they WILL void warranty work. The mod friendly VW dealers are basically non-existent anymore.

The GTI was not that comfortable for long trips and definitely isn't going to be great as an "office" like you mention.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I'd stick with the TDI. As fun as the GTI was mods are pretty expensive for little gain. VW software detects tunes and they WILL void warranty work. The mod friendly VW dealers are basically non-existent anymore.

The GTI was not that comfortable for long trips and definitely isn't going to be great as an "office" like you mention.

This guy^ must've missed the thread where a 2015 GTI with just an APR stage 1 tune and drag radials ran a 12.8 at 109mph. And if you have the APR tune installed by a dealer that does APR tunes (Bill Jacobs), they are more likely to be more lenient with regard to warranty work. And it's not often that a tune only car has issues in the first place.

GTI all day for the huge fun factor over the TDI.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I'm a little surprised at the adult reasoning and logic being presented in this thread :rolf: thanks guys!

This guy^ must've missed the thread where a 2015 GTI with just an APR stage 1 tune and drag radials ran a 12.8 at 109mph. And if you have the APR tune installed by a dealer that does APR tunes (Bill Jacobs), they are more likely to be more lenient with regard to warranty work. And it's not often that a tune only car has issues in the first place.

I have to agree with Dan here for the MKVII, though I don't think I'll be modding it anytime soon unless I do have a dealer that's an APR one tell me they will honor a warranty.

As for office and comfort, its just me and there is plenty of room for me to work and my stuff as long as I don't have 4 people going on vacation, still enough room to fit the wife's and my stuff.

The ride is my worry, though I plan to drop the TDI a little and the ride then will be a wash so idk

You have to look at the total monthly cost between the two and determine if GTI is worth it.

Payments
Fuel cost
Insurance
Maintenance

Payment is 50 more, insurance is only 15 more a month, maint is a wash. Fuel depends on what kinda highway real world miles I can get and if 93 keeps dropping lol

Diesel varies so much, luckily a station near my house is only 3.35, but most everywhere else its 3.60 or more, definitely more than 93 currently

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine

I owned a 2011 MK6 GTI and if the choice was keep my TDI or get another GTI the choice would be simple, keep the TDI. The GTI is not as comfortable as a TDI. As far as fun he has a car that is capable of faster than 12.8 he just doesn't. Unless you plan on going into auto-x or HPDE then a GTI is going to be a stoplight racer and nothing more.

The TDI is going to serve his needs better for the time being IMO. If he really wants something fun he could sell the TR and pick something up that hes actually going to drive with a purpose :jg:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
2015 GTI. You can spend a ton of time in the car and not be fatigued with a harsh and high-strung ride. It's civil and as drivable as a base Golf while cruising and just a fucking riot when bombing around. Fuel economy of course isn't as good as the TDI but the GTI responds well to efficient driving.

$30,000 Cheap Speed Challenge: Mileage Results - KickingTires

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

Aren't the 15's getting monster gains with a tune?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
2015 GTI. You can spend a ton of time in the car and not be fatigued with a harsh and high-strung ride. It's civil and as drivable as a base Golf while cruising and just a fucking riot when bombing around. Fuel economy of course isn't as good as the TDI but the GTI responds well to efficient driving.

$30,000 Cheap Speed Challenge: Mileage Results - KickingTires

Clutch, thanks bru :bowdown:

Is this also going to be leased? If so, do people mod leased cars?

Also, your payments are going to increase $50/Mo, but switching now, how much longer are you extending your payments over your current lease term?

Only been in mine for little over a year now so not a huge change, just changing to a new car for similar money 13 vs 15 not that it matters. Im not planning on modding it, but the potential is pretty great

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I owned a 2011 MK6 GTI and if the choice was keep my TDI or get another GTI the choice would be simple, keep the TDI. The GTI is not as comfortable as a TDI. As far as fun he has a car that is capable of faster than 12.8 he just doesn't. Unless you plan on going into auto-x or HPDE then a GTI is going to be a stoplight racer and nothing more.

The TDI is going to serve his needs better for the time being IMO. If he really wants something fun he could sell the TR and pick something up that hes actually going to drive with a purpose :jg:

I've had a GTI as well. And my other car is also faster than a 12.8. I'd still choose to get a GTI. Having my Jetta Sportwagen is making me want a GTI again more and more. I miss the nimble handling and the easy passing power and the seats and basically everything else that the GTI has aside from the space that my Sportwagen provides.

The only reason I'd get a TDI is if I drove >20,000 miles per year and saving money on fuel was more of a priority than everything else.

At the end of my life, I figure I'd rather say I had cars that were fun instead of cars that got better gas mileage and were comfortable... But that's just me and why there are several choices for all of us. :jg:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info