Every 4th gens worst nightmare....caught on gopro.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
so what causes this to happen assuming its latched properly?

seems like it can happen on slower cars, but one a car like [MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION] 's it doesnt happen.

The F-body suspension is VERY loose stock. It's highly recommended to add SFCs from the very beginning to prevent the frame from twisting etc. If this car has 100k miles on it, and never had SFCs, the frame is all twisted up.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
so what causes this to happen assuming its latched properly?

seems like it can happen on slower cars, but one a car like [MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION] 's it doesnt happen.

It could be just something as stupid as forgetting to swing the latch closed. He had a gopro so maybe he lifted off the ttop to fit it and slid it back in place forgetting to latch it. In the video it looked like it was seated. Once the ttops are latched they aren't moving.

Edit: also on closer inspection he has ttop covers as you can see on the drivers side is still in place. he has the double sided tape piece on the passenger side. My theory is that he hastily took the ttop off the car, took the cover off, put the gopro on, slid it back in place and forgot to latch it down. I've almost made that mistake myself. Good to know the consequences now though

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have seen this happen several times. I adjusted my latch on my Cpari like Wolfe said. I still think about putting duct tape on the ends of the t top to keep air from trying to pull it out. But always forget. lol But knock on wood, I have a ton of passes over 145 mph and no issues yet.

I also bought spares years ago just in case something happens to them.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
It could be just something as stupid as forgetting to swing the latch closed. He had a gopro so maybe he lifted off the ttop to fit it and slid it back in place forgetting to latch it. In the video it looked like it was seated. Once the ttops are latched they aren't moving.

Edit: also on closer inspection he has ttop covers as you can see on the drivers side is still in place. he has the double sided tape piece on the passenger side. My theory is that he hastily took the ttop off the car, took the cover off, put the gopro on, slid it back in place and forgot to latch it down. I've almost made that mistake myself. Good to know the consequences now though

This. Me and a buddy were driving to Milwaukee, and had the T-Tops off driving down the highway. Random downpour hits, and we quickly pull the tops out of the backseat and throw them on the car in traffic. After the storm passes and traffic lifts a little, I step on it and out of the corner of my eye I start to see it lifting off. Slammed on the brakes, and it stayed put. My buddy forgot to lock it down, and we both laughed our asses off about how we screamed like 2 schoolgirls when we saw it lifting off. :lmao:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info