TDI VW's

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm looking into getting a new VW TDI. Not sure if I'll go the Golf or Jetta route just yet, but, I know it will be a 2014/15 TDI 6-speed manual. From what I remember a few guys on here have them? How do you like them? What's your real-world fuel economy? It's simply going to be a daily driver and I'll be putting a light duty hitch on it to pull my ATV / Sled on a light aluminum trailer if the situation works out where the car will suffice over taking my truck. (quad weighs 630#'s, trailer 540#'s)

I was looking at these a while back but couldn't justify spending close to 30k for one, but, they solved my issue by coming out with a "TDI Value package" which takes out leather, nav, sunroof, etc that's all standard on them and cuts the MSRP down to $21,900.

For a brand new car that gets close to 40mpg with power doors, windows, HEATED cloth seats, A/C, cruise control and a radio with a CD player and iPod hookup that's a damn good price, especially since these damn things hold their value like no tomorrow.

1055x500

The only thing I don't like are the steelies with hub caps. Would probably put snows on them and find a set of take-off stock alloy wheels on Craigslist for the summer.

I'd end up keeping my truck for when needed while keeping the miles off of it, which solves the issue [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION], [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] and I were discussing at Carters...

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Damn. I did not know about that sweet package. That's enticing.

Neither did I until yesterday... All TDI's were coming with nav, leather, sunroof etc. and really drove the price up past $27,000 while on the other end of the spectrum mid 200,000 mile 8-12 year old ones are still bringing $6,000 or more which turned me off to both ideas, then I found this package... It allows me to keep the truck and use it when needed, pull a light trailer for my trips and if I drive the TDI for 85% of my average yearly driving the car will pay for itself in fuel savings. While that's essentially like pouring money from one bucket into another, at least the "TDI Bucket" has a warranty and won't put mileage on the truck, which is expensive to replace and is paid off.

Also, it actually makes it cheaper than the Cruze Diesel, and, personally I think the VW is a better car.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
my brothers 2012 sportwagen tdi just fragged the fuel pump and needs the fuel system overhauled at 65k miles. supposedly a known issue, he got the extended warranty but VWOA may just fix it under good will. still waiting to hear back.

otherwise, awesome car.

I will be getting the extended warranty on mine if I buy it, and will be trading it in/selling it the day before that bitch expires.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The gray one I posted on FB? It's not for sale or I would own it already. I was buying that off my dad (my mom's DD since new) but he decided to keep it, so, I started looking at new trucks, realized I'd be spending $45,000 to get the truck I wanted so I'm just going to keep my current one which does what I need it to do but lacks in the economy dept. and pick something up like this.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
My buddy (an ex-TCG member Poopshinanigons) has one. I believe he has a 2010 Jetta Sportwagon 6-speed. He loves it. 45 MPG minimum. One thing that I've noticed is that as it's gotten older, it's gotten a little rattly, and has kind of made me question that VW build quality. Most of the VW's I've seen start to rattle and creak after a couple years, more than I think they should. There's no questioning the drivetrain though, it's solid for 200K+

Also, would never dream of buying one used. Seems like for the price of a year or two old TDI, you can get a brand new one for nearly as much. Not many cars I would get brand new, but a TDI would be one of them.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
He should reconsider

He'd never be able to replace it with one as clean with as low of mileage, and, since a pretty well stripped out brand new suburban is still $50,000 he doesn't see a point in getting rid of it.

you're crazy Frank

This is known and well established.

My buddy (an ex-TCG member Poopshinanigons) has one. I believe he has a 2010 Jetta Sportwagon 6-speed. He loves it. 45 MPG minimum. One thing that I've noticed is that as it's gotten older, it's gotten a little rattly, and has kind of made me question that VW build quality. Most of the VW's I've seen start to rattle and creak after a couple years, more than I think they should. There's no questioning the drivetrain though, it's solid for 200K+

Also, would never dream of buying one used. Seems like for the price of a year or two old TDI, you can get a brand new one for nearly as much. Not many cars I would get brand new, but a TDI would be one of them.

Yeah, the prices on 10 year old ones are still in the $7,000-$10,000 range with miles on them... A friend of mine has one with 258,000 on it and there's no rattles on the interior. The seat has some wear, steering wheel has some wear and the b-pillar fabric is torn. But, for a "work car" with that many miles on it, I wouldn't complain lol

Have one, do a search, plenty of good reviews on here

Ahh. I forgot about the beetle!

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Oh my, where to begin.

I have almost 21k now on my 13 and have only owned it for 13 months, drive all over the place to work.

First off, for price don't get caught up on msrp on these cars, jetta is like any domestic car that can have thousands off. The msrp on my sun and sound DSG 13 TDI was over 26 and I got the car for a little over 22... right now is the time to buy a 14 with the new 15s coming out, but it all depends on what VW offers for extra dealer cash besides being below invoice. No way in hell I'd be driving this car if it was msrp cost lol.

Cruze with the 1.4T was another choice, but no one was dealing on them, and when you compared the two cars, the cruze just isn't as polished and doesn't get the same gas mileage. A diesel cruise is $$$$ and no one wants to give a deal on those either.

My car has all the bells and whistles except the nav and push button start, so everything you need lol... just wish you could get the Xenons, but it wasn't even an option. Heated seats standard is awesome.

I have yet to get a tank under 40mpg and that's driving into the city, highway, sitting in rush hour traffic etc etc, its insane. On road trips I can average 45+, bets so far is 48mph iirc, 65-75mph is the best for mpg. All these calcs are done at the pump, not what the comp tells me

Go and drive similar cars, the jetta feels like a solid german driving car, it has very good road manners. Its not exactly fun to drive, but on the highway at 75 it is pleasant, hard to describe, but other cars jostle around or don't feel as planted. The golf is smaller and feels different inside because of the driver position, jetta you feel like you are in a regular sedan/car. I got the dsg due to lots of heavy traffic driving. I like it, but it takes getting used to. Manual saves you money, though I have heard some people say its a little annoying because 1st gear is so short and trying to match with the different powerband of the diesel motor is a little tricky

My only issue is the repair horror stories with higher mileage cars... for sure will stay with a warranty, but you also can't argue with the resale value and that's another big plus as to why I chose the jetta. Seems hit or miss, some people put 200k on their cars with minor stuff, others (though extremely rare) have systems entirely fail

I can give you the info of the sales guy I used from out of state to get my car if you want some #s, he doesn't bs and sells on volume. Local dealers couldn't get within $50 bucks of him lol. I've had a hard time not getting rid of the car for the new GTI, I've said about the gains with just a tune before those guys ran 12s with a stock + tune one... amazing little car... problem is a new GTI with the same stuff as my tdi is 30k... not enticed

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I've got a 2010 Sportwagen, but with the 2.5. It's been solid for me with no issues. I don't drive enough to justify the TDI.

The new 1.8 turbos offer some good economy, use regular 87 octane, and are a bit quicker than the TDIs. They should have lower maintenance than the TDI (no DSG service, no diesel additives, no fueling issues) as well.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Oh my, where to begin.

I have almost 21k now on my 13 and have only owned it for 13 months, drive all over the place to work.

First off, for price don't get caught up on msrp on these cars, jetta is like any domestic car that can have thousands off. The msrp on my sun and sound DSG 13 TDI was over 26 and I got the car for a little over 22... right now is the time to buy a 14 with the new 15s coming out, but it all depends on what VW offers for extra dealer cash besides being below invoice. No way in hell I'd be driving this car if it was msrp cost lol.

Cruze with the 1.4T was another choice, but no one was dealing on them, and when you compared the two cars, the cruze just isn't as polished and doesn't get the same gas mileage. A diesel cruise is $$$$ and no one wants to give a deal on those either.

My car has all the bells and whistles except the nav and push button start, so everything you need lol... just wish you could get the Xenons, but it wasn't even an option. Heated seats standard is awesome.

I have yet to get a tank under 40mpg and that's driving into the city, highway, sitting in rush hour traffic etc etc, its insane. On road trips I can average 45+, bets so far is 48mph iirc, 65-75mph is the best for mpg. All these calcs are done at the pump, not what the comp tells me

Go and drive similar cars, the jetta feels like a solid german driving car, it has very good road manners. Its not exactly fun to drive, but on the highway at 75 it is pleasant, hard to describe, but other cars jostle around or don't feel as planted. The golf is smaller and feels different inside because of the driver position, jetta you feel like you are in a regular sedan/car. I got the dsg due to lots of heavy traffic driving. I like it, but it takes getting used to. Manual saves you money, though I have heard some people say its a little annoying because 1st gear is so short and trying to match with the different powerband of the diesel motor is a little tricky

My only issue is the repair horror stories with higher mileage cars... for sure will stay with a warranty, but you also can't argue with the resale value and that's another big plus as to why I chose the jetta. Seems hit or miss, some people put 200k on their cars with minor stuff, others (though extremely rare) have systems entirely fail

I can give you the info of the sales guy I used from out of state to get my car if you want some #s, he doesn't bs and sells on volume. Local dealers couldn't get within $50 bucks of him lol. I've had a hard time not getting rid of the car for the new GTI, I've said about the gains with just a tune before those guys ran 12s with a stock + tune one... amazing little car... problem is a new GTI with the same stuff as my tdi is 30k... not enticed

Awesome post! Thanks for the insight. I'm most likely going to be shooting for a 2015 because they're coming out with a new engine. Unbeknownst to me until about 10pm last night, a friend of mine is buying one as well and has been doing a ton of research over the past few months. The new engine is supposed to be leaps and bounds better than the already good 2.0 offered in the current cars.

I'm going in to the Autobarn in Mt Prospect today around noon because my girlfriend works there in the service department, so, she knows who to talk to. I'm not buying today and I'm not even saying I will buy from the specifically. I just know for getting some basic info and pricing on the sedan and wagon (which I would prefer the wagon) they won't jerk me around.

My ideal car is a M6 '15 TDI sportwagen with very little options. I know I'll most likely have to order that car so we'll see what happens. I'm taking this slow as I'm not rushing to find a '14 closeout model and I've got a perfectly good truck to drive in the mean time.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I'll let you know. Like I said above my girlfriend works for the Autobarn in Mt. Prospect, so I'm going to start there, but, when the time comes, I'll be going with whomever can offer the best deal.

If you go there see if you can talk with Marc or Eryk. I know them both personally and they will take care of you.

Eryk sold me my GTI and we used to work together at IKEA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info